Why is a gas cooker safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does a gas fire (heater) in a lounge need a flue whereas a cooker in kitchen does not? Both burn gas and are used in a confined space. I would have though that either both produces Carbon Monixide or neither did.

Sponsored Links
You can get flueless gas fires. Don't know what the difference is? Maybe cleaner burning, or less powerfull?

Also I don't think carbon monoxide is produced under normal operating conditions. It is produced when there is a fault with the fire resulting in incomplete combustion. Don't quote me on that though!

What does the catalytic do then - same as car, removing harmful gasses?

Perhaps cookers do produce CO but just at very low levels?

Sponsored Links
Is a cooker somehow catalytic then?

It just strikes me that it would be more efficient to heat my lounge with a cooker that a gas fire due to the heat loss up the chimney

Why does a gas fire (heater) in a lounge need a flue whereas a cooker in kitchen does not? Both burn gas and are used in a confined space. I would have though that either both produces Carbon Monixide or neither did.

You don't put your cooker on for hours on end and fall asleep in front of it. ;)

because you could keep your gas fire on for 12 hours a day wheras you are unlikely to do that with a cooker although if you did there is a good chance you would start the process of co poisoning.
Also gas hobs burn cleanly wheras most fires don't and a lot are set up to burn co with no fault occuring.

It just strikes me that it would be more efficient to heat my lounge with a cooker that a gas fire due to the heat loss up the chimney

Then on cold nights your lounge could double up as a steam room. (your flue gets rid of more than just CO).

Cookers can give off dangerous amounts of CO. The hob burners seem to burn quite clean, but grills where flames impinge on metal meshes can throw out loads of CO in a few minutes. I never use my grill for that reason.

Cookers can give off dangerous amounts of CO. The hob burners seem to burn quite clean, but grills where flames impinge on metal meshes can throw out loads of CO in a few minutes. I never use my grill for that reason.

I've often wondered why hobs don't throw out loads of CO when the flames are impinging on pans full of water. :eek:

Cookers /hobs can only be used in a room with an external door or window opening to outside, otherwise need purpose ventilation. Dependant on kitchen size of course.

It's because you open a window if the kitchen gets fuggy, ovens are very low gas users, hobs aren't on long at high levels. Question of quantity of risk.
If you burn your toast you will produce CO, not much though. YOu get high values off grills, we're about to be issued with procedures for measuring it :rolleyes: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back