Why is gas boiler installation so costly?

Sponsored Links
you also wouldn't expect him to spend 10 years in the south wing bending for soap and crying for his mum everynight would you??

oh i forgot there are not many trades that a manslaughter charge could be brought against you for one simple mistake,

so while my head is up my arse at least some 30 stone murderer doesn't have his head up it!!

I don't see how a boiler done right can be fitted, flushed and commissioned in just one day. I would say £2000 plus vat would be a fair starting point.

Sponsored Links
No I'm not going to compare myself to a solicitor or anybody else I'm a gas fitter yep a sole only gas fitter, but when I fit something that is as important as a boiler that the genral public want to last for years with no faults you pay the cost or jog on. Basically clients are not my friends nor will they get any special treatment, they are numbers to me that if they use me a lot start to creep up the pile so get quicker service. You poor people that can't get a cheap fix nevermind hey. :cry:

It's customers like the OP that make doing work in this trade a nightmare.

I wish people would use common sense.

I would take about three days and do it properly and give a full warrantee service.

Yet I still only charge about £840 for installing the boiler. Yet thats still too expensive for many people.

Then there are the customers who try not to pay.

an RGI who charges decent money is not in a rush to get to the next job, therefore is less likely to make mistakes. i wonder what price you put on your kids heads?

hahah gas fitters comparing themselves to solicitors. Hilarious.

If the kwik fit mechanic puts the wheel on wrong it could put your kids in danger, but you wouldn't expect to pay him £200 for changing a tyre. Get your heads out your backside.[/quote]

How does a trained tyre fitter fit a wheel on wrong?

Good or bad, solicitors will be billing you from anywhere between £180.00 - £350.00 per hour depending where solicitors are located in the country.but no one dies when a solicitor makes a mistake,

an RGI who charges decent money is not in a rush to get to the next job, therefore is less likely to make mistakes. i wonder what price you put on your kids heads?

hahah gas fitters comparing themselves to solicitors. Hilarious.

If the kwik fit mechanic puts the wheel on wrong it could put your kids in danger, but you wouldn't expect to pay him £200 for changing a tyre. Get your heads out your backside.

think you missed the point there, Rab.
a guy turns up in a transit and you knock him for charging to keep you and your family alive and safe, yet some pen pusher in an armani turns up and you throw money at him. 'well, if he gets me off three points and a fine he is well worth it?'

dont think so......

(and i dont go to quick **** either) i pay a chap who runs his own garage and trains his lads at the local college, i dont ask how much it will be, and i dont complain either. i know it will be a good job, because if it wasnt he wouldnt be as busy as he is and still in business.

I would take about three days and do it properly and give a full warrantee service.

Yet I still only charge about £840 for installing the boiler. Yet thats still too expensive for many people.

Then there are the customers who try not to pay.
Do you supply and put a markup on materials?

How does a trained tyre fitter fit a wheel on wrong?

You'd be surprised.

Two words:

Torque wrench

Two more:

Manufacturers Settings

Two more:

Correct training.

And before you say 'owt -I service my own car, and I use two different torque wrenches on the sump plug and the oil filter housing.

And Yes, I have had a wheel come off at 60mph in a 3 tonne van. That is why I use torque wrenches whenever there is a torque setting to apply.

I pay my local garage whatever they ask to sort out whatever I am not 110% happy doing. Which is basically filters, oil, brakes and clutch fluid. Busy enough to be grateful I only give them worthwhile jobs to do.

Do you supply and put a markup on materials?

Normally I expect to supply a boiler and add up to £20 for collection/delivery.

I dont mind if the client supplied a boiler as long as its sealed and boxed.

I would be very susicious if asked to fit a used boiler.

But I do complete botched DIY jobs or where the installer has gone awol.

Tony

self employed =
van
van insurance
liability insurance
gas safe membership
flue gas analsyser and calibration
fuel costs
computers
printers
work clothes
9 til 5(i wish)
etc
and we're all rip off merchants,but kick a ball about a field and you're well worth 50 grand a week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back