Why is it better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please settle an idiots curiosity? I have been doing some research into thermostatic vs electric showers and it seems most people are saying that thermostatic showers give a better shower that electric ones.

I have a combi boiler and want to know the merits of either system. Why are thermostatic showers better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Here is a clue: average electric shower 8kw, average combi, 30kw

Thermostatic showers are supposed to keep the temperature constant irrespective of fluctuations in the hot and cold supplies.
If someone turns a tap on elsewhere they reduce temp fluctuations.
If you have a combi they are a good idea.

If you have a tank based system thy should have seperate supplies anyway.

Sponsored Links
even if i agree that a mixer valve going throught the combi is better, i always recommend an electric shower, the simple reason being the amount of times a combi breaks down leaving you with no hot water or shower, at least with a decent electric shower fitted you have some facilities, not that the boiler cant be fixed etc but if it breaks down on a monday am, you phone someone local they come, have or go and get the part then return and repair, great,or more likely they cant come till tomorrow, order a part return wed/thu you have went days with no hot water, it is a sign of the times that "most" boilers break down more often than older boilers used to so the chance of not having hot water is quite high

Plus installation costs. Thermostatic = diy or plumber + relatively cheap parts (pipe, isolation valves, plus a few fittings).

Electric = Electrician (a must)+ plumber or diyer + relatively expensive parts (pipe, isolation valve plus a few fittings, 6-10mm cable, possible RCD unit)

Making good the water work done depends on whether the pipes are surface mounted or embedded in wall, and are thus comparable. For electrics, if cable is needed, then lifting carpets and floorboards plus possible trunking of cables etc etc will also be required.

even if i agree that a mixer valve going throught the combi is better, i always recommend an electric shower, the simple reason being the amount of times a combi breaks down leaving you with no hot water or shower, at least with a decent electric shower fitted you have some facilities

True to a point, but local swimming pools and indeed friends have showers and baths, and hot water is available in the good old fashioned way of using saucepans or a kettle.

even if i agree that a mixer valve going throught the combi is better, i always recommend an electric shower, the simple reason being the amount of times a combi breaks down leaving
Having lived in a house with 3 showers off one combi i can vouch that they are better as users end up battling with each other for the supply.
I agree about the electric shower reasoning but some customers are not happy with the flowrate from those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back