Why is my water bill so much (NON METERED)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me and GF live in 2 bedroom flat, all pretty standard.

We had high water bills initially, so got a meter. After receiving a REALLY BIG bill, and having an 8 week dispute, it turned out the meter was on a SHARED pipe!

So, now the water company have removed it, checked the property and say unfortunately, we CAN NOT have a meter anywhere. So we're stuck on assessed charges.

Our flat is bog standard yet we are paying the equivalent of around £50 a month, meaning it's £600 a year. We both work full time, no kids, and yet we are paying HUGE amounts.

I think I know the answer but...

Is there anything we can do about this? Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,
RR

Sponsored Links
Me and GF live in 2 bedroom flat, all pretty standard.

So we're stuck on assessed charges.

I think I know the answer but...

IsRR
Shouldn`t you be charged on the Rateable Value of the property :confused: what`s this assesed charge ?

What I think is ... It's tough luck. Charges are set by OFWAT I think so it's pay up... NO other option.

The flat cost £133k. So incredibly cheap for the south East.

Sponsored Links
What I think is ... It's tough luck. Charges are set by OFWAT I think so it's pay up... NO other option.
The charges are set by the water company and based on the rateable value of your flat. It's all explained in Unmetered Charges.

It will also be explained on the back of your bill!

Does the bill also cover sewerage charges?

You should be really grateful you are not stuck with the water meter.
£50 a month is usually £500 per years are councils spread payments over 10 months to ensure payment in full before the end on the year.
I pay a similar amount on 4 bed house so you just have a poor run council.
133k may be cheap where you live but could buy a 4bed house in parts of the South east.
Of your water rates only sightly over half is water supply, the rest drainage.

foxhole

Councils have no control over water charges. It is nothing to do with them. Charges are set by the water company and sewerage company.

Read the link I posted previously.

For £6 each per week you are getting unlimited supplies of microbiologically safe drinking and bathing water, most of which you will flush down the toilet.
The price includes the safe treatment of your waste water, with the associated infrastructure costs.

We do rather take these things for granted...

• 884 million people in the world do not have access to
safe water. This is roughly one in eight of the
world's population.
• 2.6 billion people in the world do not have access to
adequate sanitation, this is almost two fifths of the
world's population.
Source
https://www.nwl.co.uk/_assets/documents/NW_WaterAid_factsheet.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back