To get a Water meter fitted or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To get a Water meter fitted or not ?

I am just in the process of replacing a lead pipe to our house. My water utility bill is around 350 quid a year (this includes waste water) and out of that the price the charges for clean water supply is around 140 quid. The local water company (Dee Valley Water) have done a lead test and depending on the results of the lead test they will replace the lead pipe from the main service pipe to the edge of the property for free. When they do this work they have offered to install a water meter and I just wondered if many people on here can share their experience if they think that water meters are cheaper or more expensive than a flat rate ?

There is just two of us in the house and we have 1 bath a day, dishwater and washing machine is on 2-3 times a week and we do water our plants in our garden with a hosepipe (dont have any rainwater reuse system setup yet).

150 quid a year flat rate doesnt seem that bad.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
Water companies will chomp at the bit to put a meter in for you, but they won't take it out for love nor money. Take from that what you will.

Just found this on Dee Valleys site and kind of answered my own question:

http://www.deevalleygroup.com/Our_Customers/DOM_should_I_have_a_meter.htm

Quote:

Once a meter has been installed, you have the option to revert back to charging by rateable value at any time up to 12 months after the installation of the meter. After that time you must remain on a metered supply

So we'll get one fitted and see how we go for the first year.

They give you a 12 month option :eek: Well according to an old customer of mine SE Water compulsorily metered the WHOLE TOWN where he lives.......after being initially furious.................he`s now better off so he recons because the local council rates are high..this is after a few years using the meter....and being charged over £1.00 per cubic metre which=220 gallons .

Sponsored Links
i would think again if you have a bath every day your unlikly to save money

and when you come to sell your house your on a meterd supply as the new owners have no get out clause and are meterd from day 1

Nige F said:
...and being charged over £1.00 per cubic metre which=220 gallons .

Just checked and Dee Valley charge £1.77 per cubic metre. Not sure what other charges there are yet (waiting for the literature)

I think that your sewerage rates will also be based on the water meter readings. This is logical since the amount of water you send down the drain is pretty much the same as the amount of water you draw from the main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back