Why is the window lock spindle so short?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Go home last night and discovered that the window handle wouldn't open the side hung uPVC sash.

I undid the two screws holding the handle. The spindle seems to have rounded at the handle end. I decided to take it out and turn it around, pushing it in to the lock mechanism first... bad move, I pushed it in so far that I had to use tweezers to pull it back out.

I guess that you are supposed to put the spindle in the handle first. The handle looks like it has some kind of nylon insert in the receiver, which makes me wonder why the spindle would have rounded in the first place.

20230615_204405.jpg
20230615_204412.jpg
20230615_204456.jpg

On reflection, looking at image number one, perhaps there isn't a nylon insert... If I need to buy another one when the other end rounds down, are they a common size? Or should i just shorten the spindle.

Additionally, the plastic cap that hides the top screw lost a lug when I removed it. I stuck it back using my nicotine gum. How easy are they to source? And yeah, I appreciate that I have only provided a photo of the rear of the handle...

Sponsored Links
Spindles are usually fixed in the handle, they come in a variety of lengths to suit the frame dimension and lock type. Replace with new handle , they are very cheap .You also need to check lock, if handle failed it might be due to lock failure ..

Last edited:
Buy new handle from local DIY as they are cheap.

Other option is stick it with super glue if you want to hold it in place.
I've had windows that the spindle would move in too far when shut with the momentum.

Sponsored Links
Spindles are usually fixed in the handle, they come in a variety of lengths to suit the frame dimension and lock type. Replace with new handle , they are very cheap .You also need to check lock, if handle failed it might be due to lock failure ..

Thanks, I didn't know that. In the meantime, I shall use some epoxy glue.

The lock seems to function as it should, but I will keep an eye on it.

Ultimately the handle is broken, the spindles are pressed into the handle and should stay there but its not uncommon for the spindle to work loose and shoot forward, the reason for different spindle lengths is because not all mechanisms are in the same place, some closer to the inside while others further away, we use handles that have a selection of 5 lengths and have a tiny magnet in the end so you can choose the length you need

Ultimately the handle is broken, the spindles are pressed into the handle and should stay there but its not uncommon for the spindle to work loose and shoot forward, the reason for different spindle lengths is because not all mechanisms are in the same place, some closer to the inside while others further away, we use handles that have a selection of 5 lengths and have a tiny magnet in the end so you can choose the length you need

Many thanks. Is there any harm in just gluing it back in (to the handle)? If not, I will make a note of the spindle length before gluing it, in case I need replace it.

Are the spindles standard thicknesses?

Non at all, just whack it back in and it should stay put for a while and if it happens again just whack it back in but ultimately its broken and will keep happening but handles are only a fiver, screw centres are all the same, spindles are standard

Non at all, just whack it back in and it should stay put for a while and if it happens again just whack it back in but ultimately its broken and will keep happening but handles are only a fiver, screw centres are all the same, spindles are standard

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back