Why not to use compression joints that are concealed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was fitting an outside tap for a friend today, just putting it on the top of the pipe (everything else was already there) and lo & behold there was a mighty spurt of water.

Some plonka had used compression joints on 15mm copper pipe to supply an outside tap & it has all been buried underneath a new cemented in patio.

The joint was not even tight. (its a corner joint).

And even worse... it was BEFORE the main house stopcock so would not turn off. Luckily I managed to remove a slab & tighten it otherwise I would have had to turn it off at the street & that would affect the neighbours too.

View media item 13615

Sponsored Links
And even worse... it was BEFORE the main house stopcock so would not turn off. Luckily I managed to remove a slab & tighten it otherwise I would have had to turn it off at the street & that would affect the neighbours too.

thats when most pros do it live :D p.s im assuming secos response is due to the fact. in winter the split could happen before the service valve.hence back to square one, but even colder.thats why water regs need an isolation inside a building.

don't mean to hijack..but..

got 3 compression elbows in the floor of mu kitchen before the stop tap..
View media item 13154need to tile over it but I take it that screeding into the floor is not a good idea...

no idea where the stop tap is in the street and my uncle couldn't find it when he did some plumbing for me.. ( he's one of you gas guys too )

Sponsored Links
Found one on the hot water supply at my parents house, must have been leaking slowly for months/years, it had turned the plaster and cement between the bricks to dust, only became apparent when the tiles started to drop off the walls due to the adhesive being disolved!

I have no idea how they would isolate it.

There may be another stopcock that I could not find & only the guy who fitted it knows about (the father of the friend).

Not a lot I can do about it, the joint is now tightened & I have to put that slab back down again, this time I'll make the slab easier to remove by only filling in round the sides with a weak morter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back