Compression joint onto Hep2O failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did a load of plumbing a couple of weeks ago.

Just finished doing my teeth, turned Hot and Cold taps off upstairs. They are both lever taps, a quarter turn from on to off. Turned them off together, a bit sharpish. Sure enough, spurting water sound in kitchen. Funny thing, I'm always telling wife and kids NOT to turn those taps off like that, as it's the most pressure the system's ever going to see. Might replace with ordinary rotary taps.

Anyway, the joint that failed was a compression joint (stopcock) onto Hep2O. I'd used an insert on the Hep2O. I'd used PTFE tape too. I won't this time. Also a copper olive, as recommended by Hepworths.

How to stop a similar event? I've done plenty compression joints before, usually on CH, and have always operated on the principle of as loose as possible, and keeping tightening till it doesn't leak.

Questions:

1. PTFE when doing compression to Hep2O?
2. Should I go round again a few days/weeks later and give them another tweak?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1) No.
2) No, just tighten them up enough first time.

Most pros on here seem to contradict Hepworth's advice and recommend copper olives.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks.

Charnwood - Hepworths advice IS to use copper olives. Which is what I've been doing.

Shall I remake the compression joints I've done without PTFE, even on copper? I won't be able to replace the olives, at least not easily.

This compression joint is onto a very short piece of plastic which goes into a Hep2O joint. Would it be better to replace the plastic with copperand have that going into the push fit joint? In other words, is a copper to hepworth joint less likely to fail than compression onto plastic?

I suppose it would have been better if the pipework had been properly clipped, so that it couldn't blow apart. Yes?

Thanks.

Fook me, how many compression fittings have you used?

Where's JohnD when you need him? :LOL:

You should never routinely use comp fittings, especially where you can't get at them!

Fook me, how many compression fittings have you used?

On this job, 4. 2 each end of 2 stop cocks. Everything else is soldered copper or push fit Hep2O.

You should never routinely use comp fittings, especially where you can't get at them!

I don't. I only use them when I have to. I didn't install isolators on the bath, using soldered tap connectors. All the hidden work, both water and central heating is soldered, or if possible bent.

I didn't think I could get solder ring stop cocks, but it seems I can. I'll use those in future if possible. If that's OK.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back