Why shouldn't we charge for parking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I had a lady telephone to enquire about a boiler repair for a property she rents out.

She asked about the likely charges and I explained our fixed price diagnostic charge and added that it was plus any parking meter costs.

She got quite annoyed and said she didn't see why she should have to pay for OUR parking costs when we come to repair HER boiler.

As far as I can see its a cost we incur when visiting people who dont have off street parking or have not bothered to get parking vouchers.

In my view it would be unfair if we added a charge in lieu of parking to everyone and it should be only added to those to whom it applies.

Am I being unreasonable?

Tony

Sponsored Links
You dont have any problem adding a mark up to parts and making more money than you claim you are charging a customer .
So why have you got a problem adding on parking to your standard charge after all you should know your area and be able to do that over the phone when customer enquires on cost.
Or if you always have to pay for parking this should be built into your standard price, that would be common sense

Nope you not being unreasonable. I don't go if they refuse to pay for parking.

Why should I end up with penalty points for repairing someone's boiler/plumbing/etc?

i'm with you Tony, it's not unreasonable to expect the customer to pay all expenses incurred, if she had parking you wouldn't charge her for it,simple.
As for mark up on parts, thats got to cover time organizing, collecting, vehicle costs blah blah blah.
My Company charges £5 an hour in central London plus the congestion charge, £3 elsewhere in the capital.
We also put on at least 15%, 25% if the boss doesn't like them.
People like that can be a problem with arguing the cost of everything on your bill..maybe she wants it done as a freebie or favour?
Let them get cold, she'll soon pay...
Just my humble opinion.

Sponsored Links
Am I being unreasonable?

Tony

No, you're just telling her your terms and conditions; if she doesn't like them, she can try elsewhere. Just another unpleasant feature of providing a service today.

She's probably annoyed because she lives in one of the many London Boroughs that have exorbitant parking fees, inadequate parking (yellow lined for no reason other than to maximize the opportunities for penalty charges) and predatory, dishonest wardens. If she doesn't like it, she can vote for another councillor or she can move.

I add all specific overhead: parking, toll, congestion tax and if they don't like it: it's a free country and they are welcome to find someone else for they job.

like the idiot who called me saturday night and expected the boiler to be fixed there and then. told her nobody would be able to fix the boiler until monday, and no, not the emergency plumbers either.
called one out anyway and mr cowboy convinced her that she needs a new boiler, AND a new gaspipe as well, "because he found a leak"
Luckily the leak was no so bad so she could keep the warm water until hi had time to do it.
vaillant ecomax, all it needs is a sensor and a rubber ring.
I bet she will loose the vailant and end up with gloworm or a junior
Serves her right

Stopped doing work in Edinburgh city centre area . Cant even unload van without the enforcers on you the minute you stop. We used to employ a driver to just drop off bits and bobs but got too costlly and folk questioned extra charge so just dont bother any more not worth the hastle.

parking and congestion charges are an extra cost incurred. Agree with Tony, I make it abundantly clear. All control zones can supply a visitor/trade voucher in London and surrounding areas. Quite often turn up and the occupier hasn't bothered to obtain a permit, (most of my work is planned well in advance). I have even stuck the cost of a parking fine onto the job as they have failed to obtain the required permits. Agreed I could increase my hourly rate to cover but then all my clients are being penalised. As I say to the wingers "Its a free world, ring someone else if you don't agree with my terms & conditions"

Stopped doing work in Edinburgh city centre area . Cant even unload van without the enforcers on you the minute you stop. We used to employ a driver to just drop off bits and bobs but got too costlly and folk questioned extra charge so just dont bother any more not worth the hastle.

I gave up going into Glasgow city centre too. First thing I ask is where they are if the answer is city centre then I just tell them I don't work there.

Some other areas of the city are getting as bad,sometimes you end up hundreds of yards away from where the job is but that is another story ,especially when you add on the additional time to the invoice.

i think you are completely right to do this. its all parts and parcel to city living . they want the access to inner london but want all the benfits of burb living.

tough.

i have to pay an exhobitant rate to come into the city, they dont. but in turn they have to pay for parking.

like the idiot who called me saturday night and expected the boiler to be fixed there and then. told her nobody would be able to fix the boiler until monday, and no, not the emergency plumbers either.

I would have been able to go and fix it if it had been in an area which we cover and they were prepared to accept our charges.

Tony

Unlikely Tony, unless you keep old flue vailant flueparts in stock, that I can't even order.
I know exactly what is wrong, the problem is, the parts are not listed in the manual, nor in my vailant parts book, and the last i heard from vaillant is that they are obsolete.

lost a job once in edinburgh royal mile working for the usuall tight builder coz we added £150 for parking
still do work for the same guy and i get my £150 back on evey job i do now and he aint got a clue :LOL:

I have a fixed call-out surcharge (£10) for 'problems associated with access and parking' for certain areas of the city, rather than 'meter costs' this also covers *%^&!$£ parking fines.

Tony - not had any points yet for parking, how badly do you have to park to get penalty points??? West end is well worse that the city i find, no spaces at all unless yr a permit holder. It's not so bad in the centre, just the cost of the tickets.

If you couldnt park nearby and you had to stick you van in a NCP or whoevers car park youll pay about 30-40 for a full day...ask her if she would expect you to swallow that too?

Sponsored Links
Back