WHY WON'T BRAKE CALIPER RETRACT??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to replace rear pads on wifes X reg golf and the piston won't retract to allow the new pads to fit.

I've been winding it clockwise for ages but it just spins without withdrawing back into it's housing.

Thinking I might be winding it the wrong way I wound it counter clockwise a turn or 2 just to make sure and it moves fine that way. So much so that I can't get the old pads back in and take it to a garage!!

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for speedy reply

No I was wondering how to do that, so I've used a g clamp and swan necks to turn the piston which got it in enough to fit the old pads again. In doing so though I've damaged the seal slightly. So a £20 jobs turned into ££££s. Still couldn't get it in enough to fit new pads I'm guessing that the piston is probably siezed at that point :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the piston doesn't screw in and out it is pushed out hydraulically when the brake pedal is applied it should push back in with some pliers

Are you sure you have bought the correct pad, on some VW's they use the same shape of pad but different thicknesses.
hope this helps johnwr.

Not sure on VW but some have an allan key on the back of the caliper that screws the caliper back in, the key might have a plastic cover.

Caliper wind back tool........ change out of a tenner from halfrauds.
Once you get one its a 2 minute job!

I've managed in the past to bodge a tool for this. Take a pair of pointy nosed pliers, insert tips into slots on pistons at a suitably open position. Then drill two holes into a block of wood to accommodate the pliers handle ends. This will lock jaws in position, and the wood can then be rotated and force applied to pistons at the same time. It works, believe it or not!

I'll think you'll find that the piston might wind back in anti clockwise as i found this to be the case on a mondeos rear caliper,hope this helps.

Hi your rear calipers on the golf are the same as fitted to passat`s you can wind the pistons back in with a g-clamp whilst turning the piston (do this slowly) they will screw back clockwise (both sides) also remove fluid filler cap and keep an eye on the returning fluid,if it starts to rise to close to the top then soak some off with a clean rag...HTH

Sponsored Links
Back