Why

Sponsored Links
Because its a lash up, neutral should not be connected to earth on a TT installation.

When the installation's earthing is connected to the neutral, it ceases to be TT.

Certainly a horrible lash-up.....

Sponsored Links
When the installation's earthing is connected to the neutral, it ceases to be TT. Certainly a horrible lash-up.....
Certainly 'orrible - but, as per previous discussions, if it's not TT, then what is it? Since there's no earth/protective conductor going back to the transformer, I can't see that it can be TN-S. On the other hand, at no point is there a single conductor which combines both N & E functions, so I can't see how it could be described as TN-C-S, either. I'm not at all sure that the terminology is able to cope with this situation we're looking at!

Kind Regards, John.

Sorry for the confusion.
As JohnD suggested the fuse and terminal cover missing was my doing.
Earth spike and shed CU looked fairly recent so I was just curious if there was any sane reason any spark would attempt a DIY PME?
The supply isn't PME as I could see it from the pole to the building and there was no where the neutral could have been spiked on the way in.
Like I said I was just curious, but by the sounds of it the installee hadn't a clue on Earthing arrangements?

On the other hand, at no point is there a single conductor which combines both N & E functions

The incoming neutral is serving both functions, so yes, it's become TN-C-S (even though not PME).

Where is your cutout bung Roo???? Naughty, naughty :D
Was just getting it out of my toolbox when I took the picture.
I felt a bung wasn't needed at the time as I hadn't commenced work in the cut out yet, as I was still doing my safety evaluation when i came across the Earth setup. ;) :) :)

Where does the T&E on the right side of the picture go? Since it is (was) so well protected by a BS1361 fuse I assume its to the jaccuzi or is it just an electric shower ? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back