Wickes slim plastic cistern - side fill to bottom fill?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by 1066, 30 Jul 2010.

1. 1066

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I want to replace an old slim plastic cistern with something similar. The existing one is a push button one with bottom fill and bottom overflow but I can't find a direct replacement.

Wickes do a slim plastic one for £22.00 which sounds good but is side fill and side over flow although the info on the Wickes website says it can be made into a bottom fill with additional items.

I went into my local Wickes today to ask what was required but they didn't seem to have a clue.

Has anyone any experience with this cistern and know what is required - I know I could re plumb for side fill but there is not much room.

2. Fluffster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get a flush mechanism with a built in overflow so no external overflow pipes required. Bottom or side entry is just a case of drilling a core hole in the base and blanking off the side inlet hole.

Pete

3. jobloggs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. seco services

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the wickes one already has a bulit in overflow in the syphon.

5. oldbuffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might be worth looking at Fordham. Google "Fordham cistern"

6. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I prefer a side fill, one less place to leak, and you can change the valve without having to drain the cistern

7. 1066

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys - After a bit of research I see the existing one is a Fordham. A replacement one looks as it will be over £100 so is a non-starter.

The ones from BES look promising so I think that is the way to go - £29 including vat and delivery and are bottom or side fill anyway.

8. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fordham Flush Panel :idea: Used to replace high level clunkers :LOL: where the pan was close back to the wall - Now high level Victorian repro is back in fashion : If you`re in 1066 country ;) Look no further than the Plumbers Mate in Eastbourne - they even have a website now.