WICKS combi 82, Halstead combi boiler PROBLEM!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it tries to "kickup" or start mainly in the morning but really after any length of time it has a go then cuts out straight away then goes onto flashing light mode.

this problem has gradually got worse and worse, i even used to "kick it up" by turning the hot tap in water only mode then switch to water and heating, this used to do it but now even this isn't working.

Also when it kicks up i can tell because there's this other noise something electronic (very faint) the is in the background however when it doesn't do this i know it wont start, strange.

Any idea anyone?

Sponsored Links
What light flashes?

I cant really think of any fault that by switching over the selector switch would make hw work.

If you're fairly competent then we could have a look at a few things inside the boiler.

Tired pump/sticky primary flow switch? (Pin coming out further on HW than CH)

Sponsored Links
Just the light that indicates boiler seems to flash and it is happening with the HW now.

Its about 4-5 years old could it be the pump? i have a feeling it's something to do with the ignition don't ask me why.

ChrisR is correct that its related to the primary flow switch. The boiler will still fire for a few seconds even if this hasnt made.

The light will also flash if it doesnt close properly. If you lower the front panel look for the two purple wires into a plastic box this is the micro switch.

A spindle lifts when the pump runs. see if it does this?

Cheers for all the info i will check it out but it really does seem like the pfs.

If it is the PFS, is it a big job or expensive to repair?

Just had a look, there seem to be 2 PF switches, one for the CH and the other for the HW.

When selected on only HW you can see the pin push out and pushing the "white" plastic button inside, this seems to push all the way in but it still cuts out even when only selected on HW? - this i find confusing?

However the CH pin doesn't seem to push up at all, does this mean this is definitely a PF switch problem??

Any ideas?

Cheers Mark.

**UPDATE**

I opened up the PF switch with the intention of pushing the button in manually to asses if it was this problem however i didnt even get to that stage! as soon as it was opened up i turned it on and it "kicked up" immediately very strange but got it working!

Maybe the switch is faulty or maybe it could have been that the cover was on to tight and it was pressing against something thus restricting the amount of play?? (wishful thinking?)

Anyway its working now i'll see if it continues too.

Mark.

PF switch seems to be sticking again can anyone tell me how much it will be to replace it and do i have to get a Corgi chap in as it seems like a straight forward job.

Cheers Rob, how much do they generally cost? Can you recomend any web sites?

What do you think the problem is with the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back