WiFi Alarm and Mains Loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
First thread, so looking for advice please:-

I am looking for a house alarm system that would contact me (message?) if the house mains (or mains to alarm system) trips out (or gets deliberately cut out).

Also if that alarm system would still cover the house from a break in.

If so how long would the batteries cover the the house system for? (sorry, lots of asks there).

Am I correct in saying 'If the house mains trips out, the WiFi in my house would not work?' correct?
So how would the Alarm Systems batteries cope with this?

Can the alarm system still send me a message to my phone covering the above queries?.

If there are no (reasonably cost-wise) systems that could do it, I hope you can help or point me in the right direction of the next best .
Thanks,
Regards

Sponsored Links
If the mains electricity goes then your router and wifi will also go down. No router or modem = nothing being sent out to you.

If you have an alarm with battery backup then this will keep the alarm going for a limited time and (if fitted with a mobile Sim) will send you notifications.

There exists some devices that monitor connectivity which will then alert you when they can no longer see a connection.

This depends on what or how your connected to the internet.

So panels need a back up battery to function when mains is off

Routers could be connected to UPS so they don’t go down straight away.

Alarm panels don’t usually report mains off unless it’s been off a few minutes.

All main stream panels have a way of doing this,
The question is how you want it to work.

For example a 4g smart com can support the app even during a power cut as long as the panels battery is sufficient to power all th fee devices connected to it.

You have to work out how big the back up battery has to be or how much charge it needs to hold to last 12hrs or 24hrs for example.

as for cheapest option that really depends on how things are setup I guess.

A 4g smart. I’m requires a subscription from texecom as do other solutions via certain providers.

Some people look at a cheap gsm module and a cheap pay as you go sim in addition to the app connection.

Unfortunately it’s not so straight forward as the solutions can vary for each system.

Sponsored Links
Enforcer with a gprs + sim module ( wireless) or euro46 with a gprs + sim module ( hardwired)
Gprs module will have a yearly cost implication

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back