WiFi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can get a better signal from my modem, I can't pick up a signal in some parts of my house. Is there a booster unit to help or do I need a more powerful modem? if so how is the power measured on them, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
your wireless router ideally needs to be central to the house. Often not possible, make sure it is not buried in a corner, the aerials are pointed towards the area of the house with weak signal.

The more solid walls the signal has to go through the weaker it will be

You could also be getting interference from other wireless units (neighbours) which will cause problems are there are 3 distinct channels wireless works on. This can be changed on your wireless router if you know what channels the neighbours wireless is on (something like inSSIDer tells you)

Sponsored Links
Skys SR101 hub etc have been designed with a naff WIFI strength.

Thats the only conclusion I can come to if they are giving away a booster for those using them.

If your router has aerials sticking out the back, and they can be unscrewed then you are possibly able to replace them with higher gain aerials from ebay that will in effect boost the signal.

You can also look at where the router is located, for instance - is it next to the big metal fridge etc? large metal objects can reduce the signal considerably.

Are you able to move the router?

Or can you get a cable from the back of the router to the middle/top of the house where you can add another router or device that then give a 2nd wifi network to connect to. (ISTR that they can have the same name and password - just different channels). This is what I have done as my walls are 12"-22" and it works well.

NoooOO!

They are horrid and cause interference.

Back