Will 5x5 take the weight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got access to a bunch of 5x5 and 6x2 construction grade rafters.

I've got a 45meter garden and was hopping to use some of this for fencing.

My question is: do you think the 5x5 can take the weight of the 6x2 running length ways?
It will be 12 6x2 per two posts making a 6ft x 6ft fence

Sponsored Links
Heck yeah, the posts will be fine. Be careful about the screws you use to fix 'em to the posts, mind - your bog standard 5x100 yellow passivateds from Screwfix will probably rust and snap after a few years

if the fence has a security aspect, mount the boards close so you don't end up forming a ladder

Thanks Robin. Any suggestions on the type of screw?

For clarity, I'm planning on building something like the picture below.

P. S any suggestions on how to stop the posts from rotting in the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Woops. Something like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240328_180405_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240328_180405_Chrome.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 25
Seeing as wooden fence posts always rot in the end, and what you've pictured uses slotted concrete posts, buy some slotted concrete posts and keep the [somewhat hefty!] 5x5 for something else.

It's possible to get big metal spikes with a square socket on top for mounting fence posts. All the ones I've seen/used are heavy duty galvanised affairs and easy to use compared to digging holes and setting concrete, and also fairly easy to replace if they fail compared to concrete

That said the fences I've experienced with concrete set posts haven't normally seen issue of the part of the post that is in the concrete rotting, especially where some concrete has been placed in the hole first so the bottom of the post is encased entirely in concrete and the concrete ramped up toward the point it meets the post.. no, for those posts the point where they rot is around where the post meets the concrete, but that's accessible for regular maintenance with a preserving agent

Plastic fence posts exist btw, but I expect you'll get a lot of years service out of well kept wood, especially if you ensure the base of the posts is kept free of vegetation so the wood can dry out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back