Will a water softener reduce water pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have fantastic water pressure at the moment, from our mains water and our hot (megaflow boiler)

I've just bought a second-hand water softener that I'm hoping to fit myself, and I'm wondering if it will affect our pressure by a noticable amount?

Also, any tips for installing it? Or anything I should do to it to service or freshen it before use?

Sponsored Links
Absolutely they can reduce your water pressure. Ideally you should check the specs on your softener to see if it can provide the flow rate you need for your house. A typical system will work fine with a good mains supply and can operate a shower, etc. If you have unusually high or low mains pressure you might run into trouble, or if you need to shower while the kids play with the hosepipe then you might need a high flowrate softener.

You should check if they softener needs refilling with salt. Softeners will usually have a setting that automatically back-flushes the ion exchange resin to clean it and regenerate the resin. It may do this automatically. There are also chemical cleaners you can use if it is seriously fouled up. Instructions typically tell you to clean out the tank once a year.

Thanks for the responses, the softener I've bought is a Waterside MC350 Hi-Flo. From the name it sounds like it's got a good flow rate- anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Quoted flow rate is 35 l/min. It sounds a lot but that is a peak rate and the constant rate for something like a shower will be lower. Should be sufficient for most people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back