Will dimming GU10 50w bulbs save me money ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:idea:
Will putting dimmer switches on my lights save me money, there are 8 GU10 50w bulbs per room. Will it be cheaper to run them at half brightness or will it make no difference wether they are on fully or not.
Cheers Jay.

Sponsored Links
No it won't save you any money as the power which doesn't go through the lights is used across the resistance of the dimmer switch.

8 x 50w GU10's is 400w.
Normal dimmers will take roughly 2/3 of stated wattage for normal (filament) bulbs.
This means a 400w dimmer can only control 250w of GU10.
I tried 35watters instead. Still too much, so I ended up splitting my eight bulbs into two circuits, 4 on each and for want of a better description I "staggered" the 2 circuits so over the t.v. / corners and hearth under one circuit, over seating on the other, but I did originally have two seperate lighing circuits to the centre roses, made life easier.

Newspark said:
No it won't save you any money as the power which doesn't go through the lights is used across the resistance of the dimmer switch.
Dimmers don't work that way - they chop the waveform to lower the RMS voltage - they either delay turning on until part way through each half-cycle (leading edge) or turn off before the end (trailing edge).

I don't think that domestic ones have ever been just a variable resistor.

Sponsored Links
jaydarcy said:
:idea:
Will putting dimmer switches on my lights save me money, there are 8 GU10 50w bulbs per room. Will it be cheaper to run them at half brightness or will it make no difference wether they are on fully or not.
Cheers Jay.

It will almost certainly cost you money - running halogen bulbs that dimly actually shortens their lives.

http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html

not to mention the cost of good quality suitably rated dimmers v any money saved

Newspark said:
the power which doesn't go through the lights is used across the resistance of the dimmer switch.
ahh the drivel that gets posted here ;)

1: as already said resistive dimmers are nonexistant domestically and i think very rare now in professional applications (they used to be used for stage lighting before phase cutting systems became common and were very big and ran hot enough to fry eggs)

2: even with a resistive dimmer the total power will be less when the lights are dimmed than when on full brightness.

Dimming any incandescent light to save money is a really bad idea. The reduction in light output is much greater than the reduction in power consumption. Most of the 'light' coming from your bulb is below the visible spectrum already (it's infra-red). If you reduce the power by a small amount you lower the temperature and the emission spectrum slides down the scale.

On top of this you have all the problems associated with trying to dim halogen bulbs. The halogen can't remove tungsten from the envelope properly because it isn't hot enough but it CAN remove tungsten from parts of the filament instead - because they aren't hot enough!

To save money you can either switch a few off or use lower power bulbs.

Most people, I had always assumed, want to dim lights to get a lower light level, not to save money.

So if you are dimming for effect, then you need to ensure you start out with the right lighting. CFLs with high-frequency dimmable control gear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back