Will I need structural engineers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1900's terraced house and will be installing a set of 4' French doors between my living room and back room (basically a knockthrough)Will I need to get a structural engineer in? Someone told me not to bother, as the house is so old.Its more for post war houses.Is this true? And will it effect the re-selling of the house? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it is a structural alteration, you need to notify building control. It will be a 'structural alteration' if the wall supports a wall, floor or any other load above, or if it provides lateral stability to the house

If the wall is performing a load-bearing function, you will need to put a beam in. Depending on the span, this may or may not require structural calculations - your building inspector would advise. On a 4 ft span, a couple of 8x2 timbers nailed together would suffice,

The council will issue a certificate on satisfactory completion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back