Another question re. structural engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A reliable builder I know (he has done small jobs for me and another friend in the past) came today to examine the crack in the back house wall of my house and said I don't need a structural engineer to come, that it is caused by water and isn't a structural problem and getting a report would be a waste of money. He said he would put in two new windows and point the wall. However, part of me feels uneasy about this and wants a structural engineer to come before any work is done so that if I ever want to sell, I can show the report to any potential buyers and point out the work which was done afterwards. I would be doing this to cover myself if there were any future problems with the wall, to show I had acted in good faith. Am I being stupid in wanting a structural engineer's report and paying out money for it, or am I being sensible?

Sponsored Links
Cracking caused by water is possible on a dam, but novel on a house. Can you give more details of your reliable builder's diagnosis?

Whether you need an engineer to look at it will depend on the above, but an engineer's report will be no use for you at sale time, so don't have one for that purpose.

I'm sure your reliable builder told you that installing windows will require building regulation approval or he needs to be a member of a self certification scheme.

Hi and thank you for your reply.
The water has leaked in through the missing window ledge of the bathroom window.
He didn't say about building regulation approval or if he is a member of a self certification scheme. I am grateful to you for mentioning this as I will ask him. Am also wondering whether to call some other builders and see what they say. Age UK gave me a list yesterday of ones which treading standards recommend.

Sponsored Links
The type and location of a crack is indicative of the cause, so if you can post an image of the back of the house showing the crack in context to the rest of the wall, then there's a good chance it can be diagnosed. Water penetration through a cill does not tend to cause cracking.

If the crack does not go through to the inside wall, then it's rarely a significant issue. The issue is whether repointing alone will remedy the crack, or if something else needs to be done too.

The AgeUk trusted trader scheme is a good place to start, but still do the normal checks and get several quotes. Don't just rely on the contractors being reputable just because they are on a particular list

The crack does go through to the inside wall. It didn't some years ago but it does now. It is a pencil line crack.
Someone gave me a mobile phone and I will see if I can photo the crack.

The structural engineer came on Wednesday and said that it is subsidence in his opinion and is most likely caused by the drains. He said the problem is minor at present, 3 out of 10 with 10 being the worst. Now I am waiting for his report which he said would come this Tuesday. He said to send a copy to the insurance company who would come out and check the drains. I called the builder (he was to come yesterday) to tell him not to come and he said he thinks the engineer is wrong and that it isn't subsidence. Both of them suggested I try to sell. I don't know though if anyone would buy it. It is in a poor area and now with this problem I don't know if I would get enough to be able to afford another house. I am wondering whether to try and sell and, if I don't get a decent offer by the end of the year, send the report to the insurance company then. I feel stressed and worn out over all this and don't know what to do for the best.

Don't tell your insurance company unless as a last resort. That will put a black mark on the property.

We can't comment of the subsidence claim without seeing an image.

But even if you try to sell, a clued up surveyor will see the cracks and could well make the same assumption.

One option, is to get the cracks repaired discretely so that they don't look like a repair, and then try to sell. The problem will be that you will have to "forget" to mention the s word in any of the sale particulars or questions when asked.

The insurance company did call out some years ago when my neighbour first mentioned the cracks to me and they said it wasn't subsidence . They said the crack in the back wall looked like the opening of an old repair ( so I think that the old owners covered it up to get a sale) and that the cracks in the front wall were probably relaxation of the lintel and that I wasn't covered for this. I would not try to hide the cracks as my neighbour would only go and mention them to anyone who bought the house so it is best to be up front about them. Another neighbour said she will take a photo for me and I will post it here as soon as she does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back