Will my old style consumer unit ever need replacing?

R

RhysJames2008

Remember these old CU's?

My house still has one and I have to wonder, should it ever be upgraded? I would hope not because Im sure it would need rewiring of the whole house (I think my house currently uses radial circuits).

Im asking this because the question arises as to how safe my house is, when you find live wires plastered into the wall... :eek:

The guy who lived here previously should've been kept in a straight-jacket. I dread to think whats going on under my floorboards. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think the answer must be a "yes"...

At some time it will need replacing.
Looking at the 2nd piccy, the sooner the better :D

Looking at the 2nd piccy, the sooner the better :D

You honestly have no idea how bad this house is. Theres no earth on the lighting circuit as far as I know, yet there are metal light fittings dotted around the place. :eek:
However, it could just be that the idiot cut back the earth cable.

The guy before just kept wiring more and more sockets onto the same radial circuit :rolleyes:

Id love to have it all done out but, none of it was my fault so why should I fork out so much money to have it replaced???
Life is unfair.

Id love to have it all done out but, none of it was my fault so why should I fork out so much money to have it replaced???

Because it might stop you and your family burning to death in the middle of the night.

You know your installation is unsafe, yet you don't want to do anything about it :confused:

If you knew the brakes on your car didn't work would you carry on driving it?

Sponsored Links
Its your house, you do what you want to do to it now.

Okay jeez :eek:

I didnt realise I was offending people. :confused:
I only wanted some 'friendly' advice :confused:

I am unaware if my installation is unsafe! Ive been living here since 1997 and never had a problem, but it LOOKS unsafe. Which is why I am enquiring into a professional community where people know what they're looking at, rather than paying money, which is short right now, for an electrician to come round and tell me I need to spend more money.

My intentions were to get a clearer picture as to what work needs to be done before I proceed in any sort of work.

I shall not be returning here again. Thank you for your help.

Okay jeez :eek:

I didnt realise I was offending people. :confused:
I only wanted some 'friendly' advice :confused:

I am unaware if my installation is unsafe! Ive been living here since 1997 and never had a problem, but it LOOKS unsafe. Which is why I am enquiring into a professional community where people know what they're looking at, rather than paying money, which is short right now, for an electrician to come round and tell me I need to spend more money.

My intentions were to get a clearer picture as to what work needs to be done before I proceed in any sort of work.

I shall not be returning here again. Thank you for your help.

Your came across with your comments above as having no sense of responsibility towards the electrics powering your house, or inclination to improve them. Most tradesmen would sympathise with someone who's bought a lemon, but thats the nature of buying houses.

You should at least show some concern, evan if you don't have the finances to improve it.

Seriously, my best advice to you would be to fork out for a periodic inspection report to be carried out on your electrical installation, then you will have a good idea of how safe or unsafe it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back