Will sealing my wall help with Damp or make things worse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The several deluges we've had since Christmas have played havoc with one of my walls which takes the most weathering. I've attached a picture of the wall and an example of the damp finding its way inside. But below are some brief details:

Construction: Old/London Yellow stock bricks & some multi-red, no cavity.

Condition: Re-pointed 4.5 years ago when I bought the property. Roof was just done and while scaffolding was up pointing examined and found to be fine.

The wall in question is the gable end, the land falls away several meters, so neighbouring properties barely reach a height equivalent to my first floor. As such the wall is open to weathering and seems visibly wet after heavy rain. I have had some spot damp issues 4 years ago (just after I completed refurb), but they were resolved by examining the areas where it came in and addressing minor pointing issues, problems with window sills, seals around extractor, etc (windows are also new BTW).

The subsequent 3 years everything appeared to be fine, but this last winter/spring I've had serious Damp issues spread throughout the wall. They don't seem to be tied to any particular area, just spots of damp appearing all over.

My neighbour (on the other side) who essentially has a Twin of my house (only two that were built together and of same construction) has also reported Damp issues. But his are not restricted to one wall and I suspect thats down to pointing issues/window seals/etc throughout (the builder that refurb'd his house appears to have bodged several things). Also he's shielded from the worst of the weather by my property, the driving rain always seems to come from the side of my affected wall. My other walls have no issues with Damp.

We've both consulted builders independently and received some similar options:

1) Render the walls.
2) Leave it as is, this was an exceptional year and lots of people have had similar issues (although my neighbour has been advised to address specific pointing/seal issues/etc).
3) Apply some sort of clear brick sealant/water repellant.

Option 1 will affect the property value, so is definitely not an Option.

Option 2 I'm apprehensive about repairing the issues inside and then having it all happen again this winter or the next :(

Option 3 I've read scare stories of sealants/repellants causing other issues and not being removable once applied.

I've been mulling this over for a bit and the fact we havent had a prolonged dry period has allowed me to put the decision off (option 3 requires the wall to be dry). But now summer is over and this is likely to be our last period of sustained dry weather, therefore I really need to decide if I want to go with Option 3 or not.

Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated, really don't want to make the wrong decision and Apply something to my bricks which can't be removed :(

Sponsored Links
My advice is leave it alone. I had several damp issues on new build projects last year in places I've never known before. We could find no other cause other than just sheer volume of water. I can't believe we'll get that again for a very long time.

Having said that, if you decide to go with some sort of silicone protection the only one I would consider is a product called K501. This is a microporous silicone treatment that is often specified for historic stone buildings. It is completely invisible and very effective and only reduces evaporation by a very small amount.

Thanks for the advice. Been reading and canvassing opinion since posting this. As you say others have reported damp issues when they've never had any before, so perhaps I should just chalk it down to a bad year.

WRT repellants/sealants, the best advice appears to be do not use a sealant as it can trap water/vapour which can then freeze in winter and cause spalling/etc. Repellants which are breathable appear to be advised or nothing at all.

K501 appears to be silane-siloxane, this appears to be the only one I've seen recommended having read through blogs/etc. I'm also intrigued by the "potential" energy savings:

http://www.stormdry.com

They're claiming "upto" 28% (i'm sure thats a massive exaggeration). Given I don't have a cavity and the bricks do absorb a lot of water whenever it rains, I'm wondering if I should consider applying a repellant anyway.

The storm dry is also a silane-siloxane formulation, but is more expensive. Is the cream a gimmick or will it at least allow me to see its been applied correctly with good coverage.

As you may have guessed I'm still dithering.

Emailed Promain and got a call back from a nice guy who was happy to discuss with me. Have sent pictures over to get further feedback and quote to use someone they recommend.

He recommended it was best just to do affected wall and see if the product helps, rather then do whole house. Which was nice and honest as they would sell more product if I did whole house :)

Sponsored Links
Interesting on the heat loss. Can't believe it will be anywhere near 28% though. If the product is the same formulation as K501 it should be OK. I'd try a small, discrete area first though.

Factoring in the K501 requires two coats, it appears the Storm Dry cream works out very similar in price. Surveying the damage to the inside of the wall (lots of patches that will need sanding, filling and a few coats of undercoat/paint) I'm leaning towards not risking leaving it. I think i'll get this one wall done and leave the other two that haven't had issues.

Hopefully Promains contractor comes back with decent quote. I don't want to do this myself, I'd prefer using a contractor who's experienced in using such products so can get a reliable on site appraisal if its suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back