William of Deptford

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fail to comprehend why you have been having a pop at persons here who have been trying to offer you informative advice.

You asked a question and didn't like the answer, throw insults and then go all silly with minor insults and catty remarks.

As you know, if you do a rewire you will have to get the work tested and signed off. If your current build work has any LABC inspections and you require a LABC completion cert your rewire will be noted by them and they will not give you a cert until your electrical work has been certified.

Certification for Part P can be via the LABC who will charge a fee and then arrange for an LABC contractor electrical Co to inspect, test and certify the work. Likely cost £500-£1000 depending on the work size and subject to being able to 'see' all routes for cables and all junctions, end fittings etc.

A Part P electrician working direct to you avoids the LABC fees and the 'money printing licence' that often goes with using an LABC contractor.

The cheapest, most cost effective method will be to employ a Part P guy and work in tandem with him.

It's perfectly OK for you to buy all materials, do all the cable laying, all the chasing and back box provision and simply allow the spark to review you work before walls and floors get closed off. Then he comes back at 2nd fix and does the work of terminating sockets, switches and lights. Then there's the testing using calibrated test equipment.

Although the house may be a 2 up 2 down (or a 8 bed mansion with swimming pool) there are design considerations that neither your builder or you have the skills to calculate. If the design is guessed then you will end up making mistakes and wasting money.

As part of the LABC rules that have become a burden to us all any person considering buying your property in the future have a right to ask for the paperwork that backs up your selling points.

So if you sell and tell them the property was totally refurbished, rewired, new bathroom, new boiler, new CH etc they will ask for the certs for Corgi and Part P, and the completion cert from the LABC.

When you can't provide these the sale will either fall through or the purchasers solicitor will request inspections and certs to be carried out.

So what am I saying ?

It's a false economy, don't waste your time and money cutting corners and doing the work outside the rules.

If you have a problem, say a house fire caused by poor electrical work your insurer won't pay out if the cert isn't produced. How common / likely is that? Well the fire brigade suggest that 60% of fires not caused by stupid people leaving a fag on the go, a coal fire embers burning or a cooker / chip pan fire are caused by failed electrics either due to age or poor workmanship.

So I'm sorry if the thought of doing a job properly with costs you haven't budgeted for upsets you- but failure to work inside the system will cost you more than you save.

I await your thoughts with interest, please try to remain mature and avoid further childish, immature remarks. Let's just see if you are able to avoid knee jerk insults.

Chris, but call me Christine if you want :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Was it Ban in the other thread who called him insecure as he resorted to calling us girls? He's obviously more insecure than Ban thought as he is implying I love more about George Michael than just his music!

What a laugh!

The reality is, Bill, that I chose that lyric because I feel if you're going to do DIY, you may as well do it properly. I dislike some of his music. But not because of his sexuality. :rolleyes:

I feel really rather sorry for you, mate. Whoever brought you up has really narrowed your horizons. You think that men who don't act like you are effeminate, that homosexuality is something to be ashamed of. No doubt you think a woman's place is in the home under the thumb of her husband, where she has no opinion or voice of her own.

Sad.

Sponsored Links
Don't think so, but this thread was a mistake IMHO. In the other thread he (eventually) implied that he'd got the message through that he understood that it was notifiable work he'd have to get done properly, and stated that he was having fun winding us up. I think the best thing to do is to not take the bait, and leave it alone.

Don't think so, but this thread was a mistake IMHO.
They usually are.

In the other thread he (eventually) implied that he'd got the message through that he understood that it was notifiable work he'd have to get done properly
What - this one?

Where after every single person who replied had said, essentially "you can't do this yourself, get an electrician" we got

So that's it ladies, gonna crack on, rewire the place, get a cert, then get on with the next job.

If it goes bang, I'll let you know.

If it doesn't, I'll let you know.

:?: :?: :?:

Secure
"If your gunna do it do it right", didn't George get caught with a bar of chocolate up his ar5e, or was it just a careless wispa

There's very little that perplexes me now. Maybe its an age thing (49 next birthday)

Things that do:-

Posters after info and when it's supplied they don't like the answer and go all antsy.

Posters who give very (very, very) poor explanations and send you off at a tangent because they can't post clear explanations.

Posters who are rude and don't offer the polite courtesy of a thanks.

What got my goat about Mr Depford is that he was rude for no reason other than he didn't like the responses given on the post. If he wanted a back patting do it and don't tell anyone response maybe be should have looked at
http://www.bodgeitandscarper.org/

Has he been sounding off again?

He did start a new thread yesterday evening titled 'bad-all-shed' [sic] which was directed at you (obviously).
It was deleted within 20 minutes or so.
Presumably because I was the first to say what every subsequent person also said, and correctly predicted that we would end up at the same conclusion no mater how circuitous the route.

Ah well - as Chri5 says, there are some people who get very irate when you don't tell them what they want you to - deptfordbill wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

I believe I've made it very clear that I will always listen to any comments that are constructive.

Your postings have been noted and the information appreciated.

He's read and understood.

So, no, I'm not shooting the messenger - just enjoying myself winding up the countless old ladies on this forum.

As I said, he's made it publicly known he's trying to wind people up. So what's the point in BEING wound up? I'm not defending the guy, I just don't see the point in taking the bait and being reeled in by it.

Think the moderators have stepped in by now and pointed out that it's not really in the spirit of things on here, I've seen quite a few good forums in the past be reduced to an internet slanging match by one idiot, lets not let it happen here, we all know that the information we gave was sound and based on past experience and common sense.
A lot can be learned by those willing to listen, unfortunately there are those who don't fit into that category!

He's obviously more insecure than Ban thought as he is implying I love more about George Michael than just his music!

What a laugh!

The reality is, Bill, that I chose that lyric because I feel if you're going to do DIY, you may as well do it properly. I dislike some of his music. But not because of his sexuality. :rolleyes:
Oh come on secure, there must be a slight inkling of a tingle in the loins there? ;)

Well, alright then, I admit it.

But DON'T, whatever you do, tell Bill. Otherwise he's gonna come round my gaff & smack 7 bells out of me for being a poofta. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back