Wind Turbines

Btw, your solar sounds good, but isn't an energy efficiency measure. Its part of the decarbonisation measures that need to happen, so nice one!
No, it's not an efficiency measure - in terms of the impact, the storage is arguably more significant than the solar, and the combined effect is greater than the sum of the parts...

Sponsored Links
Whiichever way they make it, is there any feaasible alternative non-fossil fuel for aircraft? I know there are a smallJoby style electric things, and something a bit bigger in California.

Cargo ships are the other biggie of course. I've seen a few pictures of those with sails but, I dunno!

Whiichever way they make it, is there any feaasible alternative non-fossil fuel for aircraft? I know there are a smallJoby style electric things, and something a bit bigger in California.

Cargo ships are the other biggie of course. I've seen a few pictures of those with sails but, I dunno!
The boss of Ryanair was scathing about the possibility of eco-friendly aviation fuel after Virgin ran their test flight last year; although Corporate.Ryanair are researching cheaper alternatives.

For short range flights batteries will win. They're cheaper to operate. There are lots of designs working through the pipeline now and there's no reason they can't work. They also have less important benefits like being quieter.

Planes take a long time to go from design to reality so it won't be a quick change.

For long range flights batteries are too heavy. Artificial fuels are probably the only sensible option for the foreseeable future, even though they are extortionately expensive.

The question is where the mid distance market goes and how far mid distance is. If it turns out to be half the price to fly to China stopping three times then perhaps we'll see fewer long haul flights.

Sponsored Links
From NASA
The RS-25 main engines are called “liquid engines” because the fuel is liquid hydrogen (LH2). Liquid oxygen (LOX) serves as the oxidizer. The boosters, on the other hand, use aluminum as fuel with ammonium perchlorate as the oxidizer, mixed with a binder that creates one homogenous solid propellant.

Airbus and others have interest in using with modified forms of current engines.

When people are forced to find alternatives, they find alternatives.

From NASA
The RS-25 main engines are called “liquid engines” because the fuel is liquid hydrogen (LH2). Liquid oxygen (LOX) serves as the oxidizer. The boosters, on the other hand, use aluminum as fuel with ammonium perchlorate as the oxidizer, mixed with a binder that creates one homogenous solid propellant.

Airbus and others have interest in using with modified forms of current engines.
Those are $100 million a time Space shuttle main engines. Two of them can lift fully laden 747 vertically up in the air. Each one is more powerful than an entire 747's worth of engines. Their exhaust can cut through concrete.

I would love to see how they can be used to decarbonise the single aisle jet market.

They're also an excellent example of how using 'legacy' hardware can be more expensive than a new design. It's a fascinating topic.

LOL I wasn't suggesting that LOX rockets could be used for commercial flight even though the power they can generate is a variable.

The Airbus idea - pretty certain it would use oxygen out of the air. There aim is by 2035.

The boss of Ryanair was scathing
He likes a good scathe, does the Mick.

The answer is high altitude balloons. Get in yer blimp, get charged a fortune for a near space experience, and come down when th Earth has turned under you. Sorted.

He likes a good scathe, does the Mick.

The answer is high altitude balloons. Get in yer blimp, get charged a fortune for a near space experience, and come down when th Earth has turned under you. Sorted.
Not sure that's a viable answer - you might bump into one o' them Chinese Spy Balloons and who knows what might happen after that: it's a long way down from there.

Back on topic:

The issue of cyber security in the wind industry is a relatively unexplored topic and commonly, project owners and developers are neglecting to ask themselves whether their security set up, both IT (information technology) and OT (operational technology) is robust enough.

K2Management.com

German wind turbine giant Deutsche Windtechnik announced that some of its systems were hit by a targeted professional cyberattack earlier this month.

Security Affairs.com

How to stop the hackers - Harm van den Brink explains.

It's ridiculous how lax people are with security. ANyone in the business I've ever spoken to has said the same. One described it as people (cmpanies, governments etc) regarding the strongest lock as the one that matters, as though on a door. But it's the weakest one, that nobody thought about any more. or was about to become obsolete years ago and isn't yet.
Surprising what you can do if you get yourself access to the higher levels, towards the "internet backbone".

UK windpower is currently generating 13.2GW

More than nukes (4.3) and gas (6.5) put together.

All those windmills are saving us a fortune.

UK windpower is currently generating 13.2GW

More than nukes (4.3) and gas (6.5) put together.

All those windmills are saving us a fortune.
But only when the wind blows in the appropriate wind speed window, when it doesn't we need the Nukes/Gas Plants.
By the way JohnD, They are not Windmills, Windmills were used to produce flour, these monstrosities are Wind Turbines.
They are not saving us a fortune at all, the price WE pay for wind generated power is MORE than that from Conventional equipment, that is why the Supply companies don't buy from Wind stations when they can buy it more cheaply from conventional source. This is why we see so many Wind Turbines stationary even during the appropriate Wind speed window.
This was my point of the original posting on this thread. The government needs to remove the price fixing of wind power, after all the wind companies dont have fuel costs to recover, so why should their prices be fixed to the price of Fossil Fuels.
Doesn't make sense to a simple mind such as mine.

the price WE pay for wind generated power is MORE than that from Conventional equipment,

Wind generators sell their electricity at low prices under fixed contracts. Additionally, every MW they produce is a heap less gas we, as a nation, have to buy.

The price you pay delivered to your home is set differently. Blame your government.

For example (if it ever gets built) the price the government has agreed to pay the French/Chinese Nukes is far higher.

Sponsored Links
Back