window - no putty just 'tinfoil'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rubbing down the paint round the window (internal) in preparation to re-paint I find the glass panes appear to be held in place by a thin 'tinfoil' like material (which has been painted over hence I didn't realise.

This is coming away in strips.

What is it and where/how do I renew it?

Sponsored Links
Wooden single pane.

(there's metal d/g secondary glazing inside)

Sponsored Links
That's not single glazing you have, I can see the silver spacer bar between the inner and outer sheets of glass in your photos, your sliding secondary glazing is actually giving you triple glazing. The foil is wrapped around the outside of sealed units as standard and so you are not missing putty. Simply run a timber or upvc quadrant around the inside of the glass to hide the foil, it will also to press the foil back to the glass. Then paint the quadrant if you use wood.

Thanks! Never noticed! (so why the *** is the room still cold - and don't say attic insulation cos I've done that, twice!)

Anyway, can I glue the foil to the glass and if so what kind of glue?

Thanks! Never noticed! (so why the *** is the room still cold - and don't say attic insulation cos I've done that, twice!)

Anyway, can I glue the foil to the glass and if so what kind of glue?

Some copydex or similar may do, its trial and error really.

As for why is your house so cold, that’s the million dollar question.
You say the loft insulation is ok, does that mean 200mm minimum depth of insulation?
Are your walls solid and bridging cold outside to inside and visa-versa, or open uninsulated cavity?

Also although you have sealed unit double glazing they look old, probably only 4/4/4 units. 4mm glass each side of a 4mm spacer bar, probably why there is secondary glazing as well. Today’s units are 4/20/4 much more efficient.

Do you have thin light curtains, heavy lined curtains are better.

Is the floor suspended timber with air bricks below that let cold draft come up through the floorboards and skirting.

Or is your floor cold uninsulated concrete?

And on and on and on, so many reasons why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back