Window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm going to get my windows replaced soon and the choice has come down to either having Pilkington K or Veka windows; I've looked around on the internet but can't find a good comparison between the two for a novice like me, can anyone explain to me what the advantages/disadvantages are for both types? I know that the Veka has Halon gas but I'm not sure about the Pilkington K windows.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Right without sounding horrible, you've got it round your neck!

Veka is the name of the pvc extrusion (the profile).

Pilkingtons make glass.

They are the largest glass manufacturer in THIS country, they make all types of glass and one of their products is 'Pilkington K' glass, this has a metalic coating sprayed onto one side, the purpose of this is to reflect heat back into your room so you turn your heating down, all part of the GW/CC con.

The part L regs state that from april 2002, i think :?: any new window or door has to have pilkington K or another similar like saint gobain 'eco logik' or 'planitherm', saint gobain is a french company who make glass over in europe and a direct competitor to pilkingtons.

So whatever window you buy and from whoever, it must have K or another to comply OR have them ARGON filled, i assume you meant argon instead of halon?

As for VEKA, they are a very good extrusion, IMO on par with REHAU.

Ah... I have two guys who have offered to do the job for me, one uses Pilkington and the other Vika, I thought they were referring to the make of Windows... looks like I need to have a look at the brochures again and do more research.

Thanks very much for enlightening me.

Ensure you are familiar with the whole Fensa approved fitters process before you appoint them too. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hello again, one of the suppliers is offering the Duraflex profile and the other Veka as already stated. Can anyone give their opinion on which is the superior? I looked around on the net and can't really find any direct comparisons between the two, other than someone on another forum suggesting Veka is the better product.

Thanks for your help.

Veka over duraflex everytime.

Councils fit duraflex in their modernisation programs and grant work, some builders fit them too in extensions IF the customer just said pvc windows please.

I've seen lots of duraflex on my travels, repaired some and wrote a few off(insurance work) never been impressed, flimsy beads and lightweight profile.

Thankyou for the reply. They are both offering Pilkington K glass with the super-spacer but (unless I've misunderstood them) I think one has gas in them and the other doesn't. Is it better to have gas in them for thermal insulation? I'm a bit weary as I've been told if the gas escapes the window is useless.

They are both offering K glass because they HAVE to so dont let them sway you by making out they're doing you a favour.....IT'S LAW!

But if one is saying we'll use K glass AND Argon filled units then its a no brainer. As for the gas leaking out if the unit fails then yes thats a fair comment, but if the seal fails then the unit will steam up and will need replacing anyway so it'll be replaced with another argon filled unit so i wouldnt class that as an 'against'

Just clarify with the one who says he uses argon units that he also uses K glass as well as not instead of. I think form memory the part L regs say if your not using K then have them argon filled as they both deliver the same U value, so if one guy says he'll use both then happy days!

Hello again, I've had a chat with one of the suppliers and he told me the argon filled windows are actually Pilkington K 'warm edge' - is this still superior to Pilkington K super-spacer without the gas?

Thanks again for your help.

An argon filled unit with K glass AND warm edge spacer is superior to just a unit with K and super spacer.

I've never heard of a unit that is classed as argon filled because it has a warm edge spacer...........thats if i understood you right?

Sorry yes, it is argon filled K glass with a warm edge spacer.

The choice I've got now is between one guy who is offering the Duraplex profile with non-gas Pilkington K with two composite doors, and the other fellow who is offering Veka profile, gas filled K glass with the warm edge spacer but only one composite door with the other being a PVC one with laminated glass. He said the front window will be laminated as well but I think that is because it has to be toughened glass as the height is over 800mm.

They have both matched each other in price, but though I would like to have two composite doors, I'm edging towards the Veka profile and gas filled windows as they seem to be better products.

I agree, Veka it is then. As for the glass in doors, regs state anything below 800mm, mainly windows, anything that is within 300mm of a door ie door/sidepanel and doors themselves all require safety glass ie toughened or laminated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back