Windows - softwood or hardwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having our sash windows replaced - well, just the sash's are being replaced, the frames are being rennovated.

I have two quotes from a pair of reasonable seeming companies, but the main difference between them seems to be the type of wood they are using.

One is using "pressure treated, joinery grade scandinavian pine" and the other is using a hardwood, Sapele Mahogany. The one using the hardwood is charging about £100 more per window (ie two sashes, top and bottom). As we have 11 windows, it adds up :)

I think that hardwood is probably better than softwood (I am no expert, but from talking to people, hardwood is more durable) - so my questions are :

1) Am I right - is the Mahogany a better wood to go for then the pine if I can afford it? Is there a marked difference between the two?

2) Does the difference of woods account for the £100 difference per window - ie is Mahognay that much more expensive than pine?

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm just a simple DIY-er but II've experience of softwood & hardwood windows... Magnet-type softwood manufacture seemed quite well made but my current house has brazilian mahogany. They're over 25 years old & totally unaffected by weather or anything else. (I doubt softwood would last as well) For my money I'd go hardwood every time.... that said I do feel they need to be cared for.... I discovered a product called SX-70 a few years ago...it's £50 a tin so it is NOT cheap but my word is it good... I use it on sheds, my windows, in fact anything (even metal actually!) & it's good (& I mean I am seriously impressed with it)!

So, to answer your question I'd vote hardwood....

I don't think you can get mahogany nowadays... sapele is a "looks similar" wood I think, but I'd still go for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back