wire an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to wire an outside light i have 1 cable with 2reds and an earth and 1 cable with 1red 1black and an earth the light i have taken down was on a switch can you tell me how they connect

Sponsored Links
Look inside the switch, and see if it contains the other end of the "two reds and an earth" wire.

I assume your new light has three terminals inside? L, N and earth?

If so, connect the black to N and the two earths to earth.

Connect one of the reds from the "two red" wire to L, and connect the remaining two red wires together with some connector strip.

The light fitting might supply a fourth spare connection point for the two reds, in which case use that rather than the connector strip.

Sponsored Links
it does the light i have taken down was on the switch
But presumably before disconnecting it you recognised the importance of noting which wires went where?

And before embarking on the project in the first place you recognised the importance of learning how lighting circuits work so that you would understand what to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back