Wired New Light and Switch Not Working

Sponsored Links
Join the D.N.A.

(National Dyslexics Association)

Your missus will be home by now, so this might be a little too late....

Its possible that one of the pins in the light socket is not sprung properly and it is jammed up sufficiently to break the continuity to the contact on the bulb. With the power off, push both the pins in and out and see if they both spring out properly, and to the same length.

Sponsored Links
Hey Guys,

Ive finally bought a multimeter, and I was just wondering how I'd go about testing the circuit at the pendant.

Cheers.

Just OOI, does your dreaded screwdriver tester light up also on the neutral, or not?

Hey,

I think when the switch was turned on, the 'dreaded' screwdriver lit up on all of the connections in the pendant, but when it the switch was off, it didnt.

Hope that helps.

if you meen your neon screwdriver lit up on all connections you have a neutral not connected or loose, maybe its loose in the house where you are feeding from

As you have bought a multi-meter this may be a pointless idea but a simple test would be to turn off the power, disconnect the switch cable and move the red (live feed) cable to the brown live of the pendant. Turn the power back on and see if the lamp lights up, assuming the mains feed and pendant are both ok the lamp should light up which would then point to a fault with the switch cable/wiring/switch itself. If it doesn't then grab the multi-meter and check for power.

All the best
Dan

Hey guys,

Just to let you know I've finally found the problem with my lighting! After going into the kitchen loft I found a stray neutral wire that cable from the mains cable in the garage. I connected this up to the neutral of the kitchen light pendant and its all working now.

Thanks for all your replies :).

if you meen your neon screwdriver lit up on all connections you have a neutral not connected or loose, maybe its loose in the house where you are feeding from
god i`m good, wish my wife wasn`t in bed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back