Wireless bridge equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to create a wireless bridge to cover a distance of about 1/3 mile that is not direct line of site.

Any recommendations?

I have read a lot about Ubiquiti. I initially started looking at the Nanostations but have since found the airMAX bullets. Does anyone have experience with these?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi ..

Ubiquity kit is really good given its price. for short range wifi type links it works well. The bridges are perhaps the best bit of kit they do, although its all quite good for a 'value' offering.

I would go for the nanostation M5, it runs on the 5GHZ spectrum which is far less congested thanthe 2.4 and so is less likely to suffer interference which of course, makes for a more stable ink. Also the first two bands, are licence free and you can go to 1watt on band B outdoors, so at that power and over a third of mile (whats that..about 400+ meters or so ?) , you would expect to see 60 to 70 mbps up and down with a clear line of sight. Of course it depends on the topography.

When you say not line of sight, is it 'near line of sight' ? where you can see the other end but there are some light obstrutions in the way such as trees or sight is partially blocked by buildings etc, or is there an obstruction in the way and its truly 'non-line of sight' ?

If near line of sight, expect to see a reduction in performance, could be by 50% or more depending on the situation (its all to do ith the freznel zone). If its non line of sight, then i doubt you will have much joy at all to be fair. You may be able to bounce around the obstruction using another pair of bridges though.

to be honest, the ubighity kit is so price disruptive, its worth splashing the cash and just going for it. In the end, its less of a concern whos kit you use as they are all restricted by the ofcom RF propogation rules, so there are generally only small differences in performance at short ranges and choice generally boils down to price, features and how easy bits and pieces are to configure..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Back