Wireless CCTV - Will it stop a wireless PC network working ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to remember reading somewhere its either one or the other working at any one time ?

Is this still the case or was I dreaming instead :D

Cheers,

Co.

Sponsored Links
you are dreaming
as long as your ip address's of each wireless device are different, then you can usually have 253 (I think, maybe more, depends how you set your subnet up) wireless devices on your router
if your subnet is 255.255.255.0, then you can have 253 devices.
or subnet of 255.255.0.0 then over 64'000 devices !
eg 4 wireless cameras
192.168.1.2 / .3 / .4 / .5
pc is 192.168.1.10
server could be 192.168.1.50
print server of .20
gateway (your wireless router) of 192.168.1.1

Can you clarify your meaning of wireless cctv.
Do you mean cctv over wireless Tx/Rx devices or cctv linked via wireless access points over TCP/IP

If your adding wireless cctv with an ip cam as one the posts begins to indicate you can have upto 253 devices on a 255.255.255.0 subnet
Obviously you can go further by altering the subnet but 255 is usually enough
If your using a wireless cam that operates on 802.11x freq then in my experience the wifi will cause massive interference on the cam but the wifi will continue, reduced range maybe but as most wireless cctv is 'el-cheapo' it lose's to the stronger wifi

If using 2.4gig rdt long range stuff then the cctv will have a stronger signal

Sponsored Links
If your adding wireless cctv with an ip cam as one the posts begins to indicate you can have upto 253 devices on a 255.255.255.0 subnet
Obviously you can go further by altering the subnet but 255 is usually enough
If your using a wireless cam that operates on 802.11x freq then in my experience the wifi will cause massive interference on the cam but the wifi will continue, reduced range maybe but as most wireless cctv is 'el-cheapo' it lose's to the stronger wifi

If using 2.4gig rdt long range stuff then the cctv will have a stronger signal

Thanks for all the replies, I think the situation above is what someone took & ran with it !
I'll prob go the cable route as I have read they (wired Cams) are better...

Cheers,

Co.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back