Wireless internet

looks like a little square pyramid:

DSC00816.jpg
notebook_network_port.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes it does.
So do i have this right...

i'll need a router from my phone socket. This will plug into the network socket on my desktop pc. And the router will also 'talk' to the lan aerial/card in the laptop?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Can I suggest an alternative? Why does the PC need to be wired? Is it because it isn't Wi-fi enabled?

If so; buy a Wi-fi dongle to plug into one of the USB ports. Will cost you about twenty quid and convert your non-wifi machine into a fully Wi-fi enabled PC.

If your desktop PC and telephone socket are close together, I would opt for the wired option and use the wireless for the lappy. All the router admin settings should be carried out using the wired connection.

my pc is about 1 metre away from the phone socketso i will probably wire that via the router.

thanks

It is recommendable to use a wired connection to connect to the router if you should ever want to upgrade the firmware in it, also for the *price of a network lead (there will probably already be one in the box with the router) is a lot cheaper than the price of a dongle.

*Don't buy a network lead from the big PC supermarket place as they are ridiculously expensive!!

Does that not affect the performance?

No. A couple of people I know do this and it works fine. Very simple solution!

It would depend on what you are trying to achieve. Low bandwidth browsing will be fine for example, but gaming tends to suffer with latency issues. It can also drop out or suffer from interference.

As previously mentioned, never do a firmware upgrade on a wireless link.

gaming tends to suffer with latency issues. It can also drop out or suffer from interference.

I can see where gaming might be an issue. Neither of them do game online - they are using the net for browsing, chat and email. I don't think the OP mentioned what he actually does online, did he?

i don't really want to discuss what i do do online here in front of all these people :oops:

But yes, email, a bit of ebay, the odd youtube vid... no gaming or movie watching

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back