Wireless network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find it in a search.

Is it possible, cheaply, to connect my laptop, and printer together without an additional print server, I was thinking with something like bluetooth adaptors (I have one for the mobile phone).

Also, as I'm on dial-up, I guess there isn't a wireless method of connecting to the net - other than using the mobile phone of course.

Sponsored Links
Hi Brian

Can you describe your current setup. Also, how cheap is cheap.

AMD 2000 laptop with 4xUSB, 1xfirewire, parallel & PCMCIA slot plus bluetooth USB adaptor.
Running Windows XP Pro

Epson R300 printer

Connection to net via internal dialup modem.

I've recently bought the bluetooth adaptor so that the wife can download her pics onto the laptop and print them but I wondered if I could use that to link to the printer.

As far as cost goes I'm trying to keep to a dirt cheap budget. About to become redundant in 6 days and set up as self employed domestic sparks so I REALY need to keep costs to rock bottom.

I want to get away from having modem and usb leads all around the living room.

At a later date I may look at a way of introducing the kids pc's onto the network but I want a bare minimum at the momment.

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So your two computers can talk together as a network?

Firtsly you need to setup printer sharing.
On desktop:
Go to control panel, and open printers and faxes.
Right click the icon for the Epson R300 printer and select properties.
Select sharing and share this printer.
Give the printer a name and apply changes.

You now need to setup the printer & driver on the laptop.
On laptop:
Open control panel, and open printers and faxes.
On printer tasks, select add a printer.
Click next
Select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer"
Click next
Select "Browse for a printer"
Click next.
Select your printer from the list (you may need to double click the name of your desktop computer to open the shared printer connected to it).
Select next.
Select yes.
Optional (default printer)
Select next
Select finish.

It is possible to use internet connection sharing over the network as well, on the host machine you need to open up the network connections from the control panel, right click your internet connection and properties. Advanced tab and tick "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection."

Hope this helps,
Spark

Although you say you don't want a print server, they are in fact that. Various manufacturers do them. This is the cheapest one I could find on a quick search. I've never used one and they are not what I would consider cheap. Double check to make sure it is compatible with your printer.

Thanks igorian

So for £30 I can, if it's compatible, get the PC and printer to talk remotely. From what I have found that seems the cheapest method.

Is Bluetooth the best way to go? or would I be better going for something like this;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-Link-DP-311...ryZ86765QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speedstream-W...829954623QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

with this in the laptop;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCMCIA-Wirele...821624223QQcategoryZ42323QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking for the best cost effective method.

TexMex
cheepest option is a thing called a USB cable.

Thanks for that. As a spark I don't think that a USB quite fits the requirement of WIRELESS :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you are intending to setup a wireless network between 2 or more PCs, then I would forget the bluetooth option.

A router with a built in print server will do the job more efficiently, but then you open up a whole new can of worms. I had a quick look at your links and on the face of it, the kit will probably do what you want, but the 11b is a little out of date and you might want to look at 54g, but again it depends on your ultimate goal and budget. I'm also not a fan of USB routers myself.

With any wireless device, you should also be considering security. Make sure the devices can protect themselves from 'outside interference'. Ideally, for home use, the devices should support at least WEP or better still, WPA encryption. We've had quite a few threads on wireless, so have a search and then come back if you need more info.

Sponsored Links
Back