Wireless phone line for use with Sky TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, a quick query which I would appreciate your help with!!

I have recently moved in to a new house which has two phone sockets upstairs (one which I presume is the master).

Now, I've just had Sky installed downstairs and according to the engineer I need to have it connected to a phone line to enable the full functionality of Sky+ etc.

I presume that one way of dealing with this is to run an extension from one of the upstairs sockets (which I don't need to use) with a splitter so I can have the Sky box and phone connected - lots of messy wiring though (not my strong point).

The Sky engineer mentioned that you can now get new wireless kit which will allow the Sky box to connect to the original upstairs socket. Apparently sold in Maplin for c. £50 - but I can't see this on the Maplin website and I wondered if anyone had any experience with this, or knows the bit of a kit to which he was referring?

All help greatly appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say new house,do you mean a new deveopment and if it is your phone points will be pre-wired back to the main nte and may only need terminating,see the site agent

do you intend to use any of the on demand services/competitions etc. ?

I don't and unplugged my sky+ box as soon as the bloke was out the door. I've had no problems although technically, according to the contract you are supposed to leave it connected.

I'd just run an extension cable for the install.

To clarify - it is a new house to me - but 1930s with reasonably dodgy wiring throughout!

Possibly interested in movies on demand but got told that Sky+ functionality wouldn't work without phone line?

Sponsored Links
That looks like it!

Not sure how I missed it!

Thanks.

I guess the next question is if anyone has any experience of these as it would appear to be a good solution.

Possibly interested in movies on demand but got told that Sky+ functionality wouldn't work without phone line?

Well mine works, and hasn't been plugged in since it was installed. My mum's also works (the sky fitter unplugged her lifeline to plug it in so I swapped them back.

Before you buy one of these from Maplin read the FAQ's for the product.

It says there that these devices are NOT guaranteed, by their manufacturers, to work with Sky+ although sometimes they do!

I wouldn't read too much into maplins "faqs". I've seen plain wrong information there before.

I suspect someone had a unusually crappy line and this product just pushed it over the edge into unacceptability or something like that and the manufacturer doesn't want to accept liability for such things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back