Wireless Pump Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Summary:

Is there any such thing as a wireless pump controller?

Long explanation:

When wiring in my Nest thermostat a while back, I found that our Ideal Logic 15 boiler hasn't been wired to the manufacturers instructions - the pump hasn't been wired directly to the boiler, which means it doesn't "run on" after the boiler turns off. The manufacturers instructions advise that this voids the boiler warranty.

Our house is a relatively new build (4.5 years old), so is still covered by the NHBC warranty, but the boiler warranty has long since expired. However, because the house is still under warranty, I've had the builders (Persimmon) send out a heating engineer to wire the boiler correctly. We haven't had any central heating issues, but if Persimmon are putting their hands in their pockets, then they can sort it out for me like it should have been done in the first place.

Unfortunately, the engineer has found that there isn't enough cabling to wire the pump / boiler correctly, so has advised that it would mean pulling up floors (tiled) etc to lay more cables.

Is there any such thing as a wireless pump controller, which he could wire to the boiler and the pump so they can talk to each other, instead of laying new cables?

Cheers,

Oli[/i]

Sponsored Links
Baxi do a pump overrun kit. Any decent heating engineer with a grasp of basic electrics could make one for less.

Could also run a cable up and over down the outside of the house.

Sponsored Links
Use a mains link

Which requires cables...

Erm, it's a wireless switch unless you think that you can get a pump that doesn't actually need any cables.

Maybe if you'd have looked you'd have realised.

RF Solutions - Mainslink!

When you said 'mains link', to me it meant 'wire to the mains' (ie in a different circuit to the boiler, which is one of the options we have), I didn't realise you meant the 'RF Solution Mainslink'

It is very easy to do and might cost £50 -£100 to buy and a lit to fit.

But few plumbers are even aware of them and just say it cannot be done.

Many like your house builder's dont even know how to wire up a boiler.

Even though the boiler itself is out of the warranty, I would still argue that the way it was wired was wrong and should still be corrected by the builders.

But you are then up against a legal brick wall. The NHRBC cover is only for major faults and there is a minimum claim of perhaps £1000.

You would probably succeed with a legal claim against the builders but that's a lot of hassle too for a job costing less that £200.

Tony

It is very easy to do and might cost £50 -£100 to buy and a lit to fit.

But few plumbers are even aware of them and just say it cannot be done.

Many like your house builder's dont even know how to wire up a boiler.

Even though the boiler itself is out of the warranty, I would still argue that the way it was wired was wrong and should still be corrected by the builders.

But you are then up against a legal brick wall. The NHRBC cover is only for major faults and there is a minimum claim of perhaps £1000.

You would probably succeed with a legal claim against the builders but that's a lot of hassle too for a job costing less that £200.

Tony

The builder has already agreed to get it sorted, but the heating engineers / plumbers want to go the route of installing a second isolation switch for the boiler, in a different place to the first, to allow them to wire the pump in without ripping up floorboards.

I've spoken to them about the MainsLinkRF, but they don't know how to use it, and won't install it.

I'm now tempted to get the builder just to buy the MainsLinkRF for me, and I'll wire it in myself / get an electrician to do it. I managed to install a Nest thermostat etc once I figured out the mess of wires, and worked out how the installers had wired everything in.

Any pointers on wiring in the MainsLinkRF into my wiring?

I haven't seen one but from the slightly iffy diagrams on their website I'd say the following:-

Rx needs permanent Live, Neutral and Earth from your L/N/E terminals in your wiring centre. Remove pump wire from wiring centre and wire into L1/N/E in the Rx.
Wire boiler's pump L/N/E terminals to Tx. If it also needs a permanent live, take this from the boiler's permanent live if it has one

Thanks muggles, I thought the same - just wanted to double check.

Next up is convincing the builder to just buy the MainsLink for me, and be done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back