Wireless Router

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have Virgin Broadband and they have just sent me a wireless router. It is a d-link DIR-165. I didn't order it and wasn't aware that I needed it.

I only have one PC in use, it is a biggish tower and I wouldn't want to carry it around. Sometimes friends come to stay and bring their laptoys.

Is the router likely to be any use to me? What do other people use them for?

Sponsored Links
I've just installed a wireless router this week bought on ebay for £4:95. I'm on Virgin Broadband too (fibre-optic)

Like you I have a tower, mine is located in the office (I'm not posh so I won't call it a study) originally it had a direct ethernet connection to the Virgin modem. I also have a laptop for work which has wireless capabilities.

The wireless router plugs into the Virgin modem in place of the tower and another ethernet connection from the router goes back out to the tower. The wireless connection means I can now use the laptop anywhere in the house to access the internet and get e-mails. I've not tried it in the garden yet, as it's too cold.

Next week I will be connecting my printer to the router via another ethernet port (my router has 4) and then hopefully I will be able to share the printer between both computers.

If you do set it up, make sure you set the security up to stop other people accessing your network.

It's worth noting that you should use WPA2, and a fairly secure password to prevent brute force attempts. Using WEP is absolutely pointless against someone with even a little bit of knowledge on wireless security.

If someone were to access my wireless router, apart from using my internet connection, could they do any damage? I was under the impression that they gave additional security with an integral firewall.

Sponsored Links
If someone were to access my wireless router, apart from using my internet connection, could they do any damage? I was under the impression that they gave additional security with an integral firewall.

They'd have a free run at your PC, which could be very damaging if it's not secured properly. Windows was never meant to be on an open network (any network, really...).

I just got a wireless router from my ISP too. Didn't think I'd need it till I got a laptop and I know realise how handy it is!

My desktop is wired to the router but I can use the lappy wirelessly with it.

Out of curiosity - how would you know if someone had accessed your wireless connection?

I just got a wireless router from my ISP too. Didn't think I'd need it till I got a laptop and I know realise how handy it is!

My desktop is wired to the router but I can use the lappy wirelessly with it.

Out of curiosity - how would you know if someone had accessed your wireless connection?

You would have to check the status page for the router and look for wireless connections which are not your machines.

Back