Wireless thermostat installation: hot water on but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, yesterday, we got a wireless thermostat installed and have no heating since. Hot water seems OK.
Boiler: Vaillant Ecotec
Thermostat&receiver: Drayton MiTime T720M

I checked the communication between the thermostat and receiver.
Signal = Very good.
Playing with temp up and down causes the switch inside the receiver to make on/off sounds to reflect the flame icon on the thermostat.
Error: S.30
What could be the issue?

Update: a bridge between 3 and 4 did not resolve the issue.

Sponsored Links
When you say you got one installed, you mean an electrician did it, or you did it? I'm guessing it was you, as it was Boxing Day yesterday. I'm sure an expert will be along soon - I can only say that the connections between receivers and the boiler are usually pretty simple (I managed, with help on here), so check and re-check the wiring. You have a wire going from terminal 4 to the relevant connection on the boiler? That is energised when heating is called for, but I guess you knew that.

Of course, you could have screwed the electronics of the boiler by putting random bridges in....Keep us informed as to progress please.

Last edited:
S30 isn't really an error it just means the boiler is not receiving a demand for heating, as if the thermostat was not calling for heat.
Is it a combi boiler and can you supply pictures of the wiring at the boiler and the receiver?

Last edited:
No. I googled it. I'm not an electrician.

Surely you have the instructions for both?!?!? If you decided to wing-it, then its possible you may have fried something.

What wires did you put where? Are you replacing an old thermostat/receiver?

Sponsored Links
First: NO I DID NOT DIY.
Second: qualified trades person(gas safe + his part p qualified sparky) did it as a part of bigger renovation project. The contractor, recommended to us by a reputed national chain, is now playing tricks ; not answering calls, saying he will come and not coming, sent his electrician who knew nothing about plumbing... killing time
Third: doing some googling I gathered that S30 is a status code indicating 'No demand' for heating. I tried to fault find and the communication between thermostat and receiver seems fine. The contractor asked his sparky to put the bridge which I saw but it had no effect. Still S30.
I tried to restart the boiler, it attempts to start, runs few seconds then goes off.
Hot water and clock are running fine.

Last edited:
That's all too bad. I feel for you. As an aside I would think that Gassafe would want to know about this.

Update: after some strong communication the contractor came and fixed it. IIUC, loose terminal 4 connection. Removed link, reconnected the receiver, Boiler still ON.
Later on I noticed boiler doesn't turn off at all. Raised this with the gas safe certification guy who understood the issue but said he is not an electrician do can't fix it. He has issued a gas safe certificate. I asked him about boiler not turning off and he said it is not a safety issue.
I am totally confused now.

Echo and jackthorn have told you what you need to provide. Otherwise we are literally in the dark and guessing.

Also, there are lots of versions of the Ecotech. Heat only, Combi, Pro. Plus etc., so defining it better would help.

You say that you have a Drayton 720M which is a Dual channel programmer, usually systems with Hot Water & Central Heating. This suggests that you have stored hot water & not a combi. Is this correct. If so, do you have motorised valves? is the system an 'S Plan' or 'Y Plan'? This is important because with motorised valves, they control the boiler, not the programmer.

I can only say that the connections between receivers and the boiler are usually pretty simple.
How have you concluded that the receiver is wired to the boiler? The OP said.

Thermostat & receiver: Drayton MiTime T720M
This is a Dual Channel receiver. The type with two channels, one of which is for use with a stored hot water system, in this case, the boiler would be controlled from the motorised valve when heating was required, not from the receiver. Now it may be that the wrong programmer has been used and it is a Combi, (as jackthorn asked earlier) but we don't know for sure.

If anyone is following this post this issue is now fixed. It seems sparky slept on his job. Incorrect thermostat to boiler wiring.
Big Thanks to everyone helping me out.

Just because he was a part P qualified electrician, it doesn't mean he knows anything about wiring up heating systems. Sounds likely he didn't!

Glad it's all fixed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back