Wireless Thermostat Receiver Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my CH/HW system. Here are the details before I get into the specific issue.

10 year old Ideal Classic boiler feeding a hot water tank/CH system
Lifestyle programmer unit with separate CH HW controls
Twin value setup, between HW and CH
Iflo wireless thermostat receiver hooked into the programmer unit

And now the problem.

Central heating has slowly been failing. A hard power reset of the whole system is required to get the boiler to give heating on demand. This started out at every couple of weeks, then more frequently, and now won't start up at all.

Hot water is fine, valve opens, boiler fire up, etc, etc.

I've replaced the programmer unit, and the problem is exactly the same. I've swapped the valve servos between the two valves, thinking one might be faulty, but still no change.

I'm down to 2 options now, the wireless receiver unit or a board/sensor on the boiler.

My immediate question is, when the wireless receiver requests the programmer to demand more hot water, should the electric flow between the programmer and wireless receiver unit even if the CH is off at the time? I've put a 240v tester on the cable, and nothing is flowing even though the green demand light on the receiver is active.

I'm not sure if the programmer is stopping the flow of electricity or the receiver is faulty.

It's going to be a lot cheaper for me to replace the receiver if it's at fault, but I don't want to fork out money if it's the programmer that's blocking the flow of electric to the receiver because the boiler is faulty.

Cheers, Rob.

Sponsored Links
I don`t know what a hard power reset is but it may be a diverter valve problem or your pump. Do you have a 3 port or 2 x 2port valves? Are you saying you have changed the heads on these? Plumber/gas fitter here not a breakdown engineer.Help if I can.

I doubt its a problem with the boiler as HW is ok.
Do you havethe means to carry out electrical testing?
You say you swapped the sevo units, do you means the actuators, from one valve to the other? Or the motors within the valves? Or the wiring to the valves at the wiring centre/junction box? ( or a combination of the above?)

Is it an iflo digistat? If so its a Drayton common fault with reciever

To prove:-
Turn off power(confirm dead)
Loosen screws in receiver
Move cable from terminal 4 into L
Replace receiver and turn power on

This will bypass the receiver so when programmer calls for heat the boiler should fire.
If it does then u need a new receiver

Sponsored Links
Its the receiver as GS1985 says.

They are crap, theres numerous guides on tinterweb about repairing them if your that way inclined or just buy a new receiver.

Thanks for everyone's responses. The one from plumbingservices particularly made me smile.

There's a video with the capacitor fix on YouTube here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQc0eyOKvwE

However, I've decided to go the cowards route and get Dave to fix it for me :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181726868782

gasservices1985 - can you confirm if pin 4 is Common or Call, as I'd like to bypass the thermostat whilst the receiver is bring fixed?

Thanks, Rob.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Terminal 4 is htg on/call

Essentially switched live out bY linking the wires from terminal 1&4 it will bypass the thermostat. Link 4-L will bypass timer aswell

Edit just thinking it could be terminal 3 actually but there won't be wires in all ther terminals. Only L N 1 3/4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back