wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basic gravity fed central heating system with a 25 year old Ideal boiler and a 25 year old RANDAL 30 60 programmer. A room stat was never fitted and the boiler stat. is used to control the temp.
I would like to install a basic wireless room thermostat.
There seems a wide range available so I would like advice on which ones would be compatable.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Think about getting one that controls different temperatures at different times.
Drayton RF2, although I dont know if it is compatable with your system.

Depends how your system is piped up.

Can you run the hw and ch seperately? If not, any room stat is likely to control the hw as well, meaning when the room stat has cut out your water won't heat up.

As a gravity fed system when the boiler fires up it will always heat the hot water. I can have the HW on its own but cannot run the CH on its own.

Sponsored Links
convert to c plan for about £100 and you can have seperate control for HW and CH and control HW temp with a cylinder stat whilst retaining the gravity system. I did it 2/3 years ago and its saved me a fortune in gas and helped to keep the HW temp down.

All room stats are compatible with C plan whether it be 2,3 or 4 wire, and wireless.

If your interested i can help you out if you do some pics of your boiler and pipes, to show you how it all goes.

For the £100 spend i saved about £15 per month in the months i use CH. it adds up to about £75 per year. With the addition of the room stat, this saved me another £10 per month. you cant moan at £125 per year saving.

EDIT: i did the wiring and pipework myself which of course kept the cost down, it would cost more to have it done by a pro if your not experienced enough to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back