Wireless Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I require some advice with out heating due to what can only be described as some unusual design layouts to our house.

Our house has 3 floors, The boiler itself and the thermostat are on the bottom floor, the main living area is on the second floor and the controls and hot water gubbins are on the top floor. We only have the radiators on in the actual living area as its pointless heating areas of the house that we are never in, however the thermostat (a basic dial version that you turn to set the required temperature) is downstairs in an area that never gets heated, therefore our heating stays on at full blast.

Now I know I could run new cables to a new basic thermostat and put that in the main living area, but it would look messy. Can I get a wireless replacement for the basic thermostat? and have the recieving box wired into where the old basic thermostat is and just put the new one on the wall in my living area to just send a signal to the reciever. I dont want the wireless box to do any programming or anything more than just deal with the temperature as all the programming is done on the box near the hot water tank and is setup lovely, the only issue is our thermostat being in a stupid place!

Thanks in advance if this makes any sense and you are able to provide some help.

Sponsored Links
Can I get a wireless replacement for the basic thermostat? and have the recieving box wired into where the old basic thermostat is and just put the new one on the wall in my living area to just send a signal to the reciever

Basically yes, if the wiring at the stat consists of a live from the central heating timeclock/programmer, a switch wire return to tell the boiler to fire for heating and a neutral conductor.

The receiver could be installed in place of the existing stat and the wireless stat used on another floor, if, the wiring is as above. Most wireless receives require a permanent live and neutral and allow connections for a timed live and switch wire return. Best to check what wiring you have available at the existing room stat.

Another option is to install the receiver at the boiler controls ensuring that the type of wireless stat will cover the range over 3 floors.

It would be normal to put the receiver at the boiler!

Although you think that you dont want a programmable thermostat it would be far better for you to take the time to learn how useful they are.

You can still retain the old timeclock for the heating but the programmable stat takes account of all needs and is greatly to be recommended.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back