Wires out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house that has a combi boiler and so there is no use for the wall mounted thermostat, which has subsequently been removed. However, this has left three wires petruding from the living room wall. We plan to redecorate at some point (when I've saved a bit more money) but in the short term would like to just hang a picture to hide the wires. What is the safest way to cover the ends of the wires, which I believe are still live?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
mg_graham said:
I have moved into a house that has a combi boiler and so there is no use for the wall mounted thermostat, which has subsequently been removed. However, this has left three wires petruding from the living room wall. We plan to redecorate at some point (when I've saved a bit more money) but in the short term would like to just hang a picture to hide the wires. What is the safest way to cover the ends of the wires, which I believe are still live?
First, are you sure they're live? Since they would have been connected to the "old" boiler, from what you say the other end is now disconnected so they won't be live. Find the other end and see what it's connected to.

Secondly, I'm no central heating expert, but howcome having a Combi means you don't need a wall thermostat? How does it know when to fire up to run the central heating otherwise?

Cheers,

Howard

Fair questions re how boiler knows when to change temp - being no expert either i don't know. I don;t think it does. Over the last winter anyway, the only way to change the temperature has been to do it manually using either the dial on the combi or at the radiators themselves.

Pretty sure the wall thermostat is out of use so is probably no longer live as you say. Will try and find the other end of the wiring.

Cheers

mg_graham said:
Fair questions re how boiler knows when to change temp - being no expert either i don't know. I don;t think it does. Over the last winter anyway, the only way to change the temperature has been to do it manually using either the dial on the combi or at the radiators themselves.
Because you don't have a wall thermostat...

When you've found the other end of the cable, and determined if it is, or is not, connected to the boiler, get ye over to the CH forum with all the details and get advice on choosing and installing a thermostat...

Sponsored Links
Maybe the room stat was a nice programmable one and the previous tenants decided to take it with them!

It's probably too late to pursue them for that, but it was a fixture, so if they did do that it would have been unlawful.

will look into where they lead to, but in the short term, how do I make the ends of the wires safe in case they are live.

(BAS- planning to put thermostatic valves on the radiators)

Terminator block and insulating tape, but only as a temporary measure. Why not just put a meter on the wires and see whats there, if you don't have one, they can be bought for around £10 at most DIY chains these days. DIY doesn't have to mean 'make it as difficult as possible for yourself'. You still need tools !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back