wiring 2nd extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm after some advice please.
I have just bought a shower extractor fan with a light built in for the shower how to I wire this seperate to the main light switch. There is already a extractor which works when the lights on I want this shower one work seperate.
I'm think pick up in the loft of the bathroom light ring for permanent live that wire to a pullcord switch.
Another wire coming out the switch the the fan unit which has a transformer. Is this right or wrong.? Cheers

Sponsored Links
The British method is to have permanent line and neutral at the ceiling rose normally you can power fans from this supply so yes you are likely to find power in the loft. It is rare to use a ring system for lights it's normally run as a radial. Often the transformer with the fan kit is for light only. Often not really a transformer but a regulated AC power supply which has a minimum as well as maximum output so will not allow the use of LED or Cold Cathode lamps.

I would question two fans the normal two fan arrangement includes a heat exchanger one fan blows out the other sucks air in often a requirement where open flue fires are used. Often called a heat recovery unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back