Wiring 3 terminal PIR sensor to strobe light - plug and cable power source.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope you can help. I have a stand alone MiniSun PIR sensor and I am trying to wire it to a strobe light (as a heron deterrent hopefully!). The sensor has 3 terminals - 'A' Red 'N' Blue/Green and 'L' Brown/Black. The strobe light has 2 wires, blue and brown (no earth). The power source will be a three pin plug and cable. I am not sure how to wire it up, the wiring diagram makes no sense to me, sorry to say.
Any ideas? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is that a Red,Black, Yellow cable?

upload_2016-5-19_14-24-27.png

Supply:
Red to L
Black to N
Terminate earth wire safely out of the way.

Light:
Brown to A
Blue to N.

Sponsored Links
Hello and thanks for the quick reply. Have wired it up but no response from the PIR. No click or anything? Please see picture.

IMGP3574.JPG

You haven't plugged it in. Don't do it with the plug top off.

Seriously though, check fuse, your terminations - trapped insulation.

Have you a multi-meter?

I have a multi-meter somewhere, will dig it out. But the wiring looks ok I assume? (left the plug top off just to confirm all ok in there too..). Thanks again for your help. Cheers.

Hello and yes. Even though the instructions state to 'Turn the LUX knob anti-clockwise to maximum (SUN) - the arrow points to the moon. 'Turn the TIME knob clockwise to the minimum - the arrow is on maximum. That doesn't help does it!

IMGP3579.JPG

Thanks for that. I hope that I am learning from my mistakes too. There appears to be a contradiction in the 'settings'. I assume the pic shows the correct setting.

check .. your terminations
Check theirs too - I doubt that the unit was assembled by skilled, well trained, well paid people in state-of-the-art facilities.

Be prepared for the fact that you might be about to find out that the reason a Stienel (for example - other good makes are available) costs multiples of the Minisun is not gross profiteering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back