Wiring 8x50watt GU10's from a single one way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I wonder if anyone can give me a hand working out my wiring (at least...the easiest wiring) for the above.

I currently have a regular light at one end of my kitchen. I have checked inside the rose and there are three wires (the feed,the the switch and outgoing feed) and each of these 3 wires is 3 core.

The idea is to replace this light with 8 GU10 50watt pendent lights all operated by a single one-way switch.

Firstly..am I right calculating this as 50x8 = 400watt total load and 400/240v = 1.67amps?

My thinking is this gives me plenty of slack if I use a regular 6amp switch yes?

Secondly... whats the best way to actually wire in this number of lights?

I was thinking a couple of junction boxes or something?

Thanks a million for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I'd assume that of the 8 lights one will be adjacent to the existing light fitting.

So wire up the 1st GU10 from the existing wiring and then run cable from GU10 fitting A to fitting B to fitting C etc. There should be no need for JB's and generally JB's are fround apon due to issues with service and access to them. Since each fitting comes with block connectors they won't be required.

If there is a room or loft space above the ceiling smoke hoods should be supplied. The best way to avoid these is to buy GU10 fittings that are fire safe. A fire safe GU10 is only 50% dearer than a standard GU10 (from about £7 each), hoods start from £20 each.

Calcs on amps should be done at 230v, still under 2 amp.

Kichen work is notifiable under part P to LABC

Sponsored Links
1. hoods aren't £20 each. Unless you shop at Debenhams for electrical accesories

2. hoods aren't required unless the ceiling is fire rated for protection of ANOTHER DWELLING ABOVE.

3. Can we have 2. stuck at the top of the forum? Or request it on the front cover of the 17th edition? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back