Wiring a Ceiling rose light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just been attempting to wire up a ceiling rose light. I copied how the old light was wired up onto a piece of paper and then when I wired up the new light I actually left on the old rose and placed it over the top (it was a chandileer type light) and used the notes to wire up the new light, the light was controlled by a dimmer switch.

However I have a bit of a problem, when I connected the power, the light cannot be controlled by its dimmer siwtch in the dining area and will only dim when I adjust the living room lights, which in turn are just barely on when the dimmer is on full.

Looking at the forum wiki, I think I realise my mistake, namely there were three bunches of wires coming down into the ceiling rose and they should have been wired up in a certain order, but I didn't realise this at the time and wired the coloured wires into the right blocks but didn't neccasarily put them in the right holes.

Is there any way I can tell which wire bunch needs to go into which hole on the block?

Sponsored Links
Have you got a multimeter?

If not, walk up to the high street and buy one for less than a tenner, then come back here.

Sponsored Links
No I'm not.

We will be looking for continuity between quite a number of wires, followed by voltage and resistance tests.

With a meter it will be a breeze.

Wel I havn't got one yet. I'm gonna goto to an electrical shop tomorrow, where incidently I need to change some things I bought so will be killing two birds with one stone.

Mighty Quinn why are you saying I don't need one? If you know of any way I can determine which wires are what without a multimeter please enlighten me.

Zammo said:
Wel I havn't got one yet. I'm gonna goto to an electrical shop tomorrow, where incidently I need to change some things I bought so will be killing two birds with one stone.

Mighty Quinn why are you saying I don't need one? If you know of any way I can determine which wires are what without a multimeter please enlighten me.

I was being mischievous, sorry ;)

When you get your multimeter, put it on continuity, or if it has a buzzer, this would be better.

Turn the dimmer off.

Turn the lighting circuit off.

Put the test leads across a pair of cables at the light fitting. One of them should have no reading/ buzz. Turn the switch on ( better still get someone to do it for you ), and check the reading again. If you get a reading, this is your switch wire. Then follow the drawings for wiring a fitting in the Wiki.

Zammo said:
However I have a bit of a problem, when I connected the power, the light cannot be controlled by its dimmer siwtch in the dining area and will only dim when I adjust the living room lights, which in turn are just barely on when the dimmer is on full.

Have you changed any switches?

securespark said:
Zammo said:

Have you changed any switches?

No

I've just had a thought. If the only coloured wire I have to get in the correct hole is the switches black wire (which goes in the live block next to the light's Brown wire). Then I only have two other possible combinations that I need to check to get the light working correctly. All of the live (red) wires go into the same block so I don't need to distinguish between them. Is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back