Ceiling Rose Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Recently wired a ceiling rose in a new (old) house. Although the lights are now acting kinda screwy. When the newly fitted light is switched on there are no problems but when its off and the light in the bathroom (on the same loop) is turned on the newly fitted light glows dimly.....if that is then turned on the bathroom light will go out. Also I have noticed the energy saving bulb on the landing (also on same loop) is flickering a little...I imagine it would also glow dimly like the other if it was a normal bulb.

The newly fitted light does have two switches..one pull switch above the bed and another on the wall. Not sure if this is causing problems.

All i have touched is the wiring on the ceiling rose and everything was fine before. i've checked and double checked the wiring on the rose and i cant see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Maybe i disturbed some wiring when i unscrewed the old ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've mixed up a switch line and a supply wire. One of the wires that looks like a neutral will be a switched live, there's a sticky at the top of the forum on how to wire lights.

Tell us what cables you have, and what wires emerge from them.

Also tell us info about the light you replaced, I presume you have no other lights in that room that is supposed to come on with that light.

As said, you have probably mixed up a neutral with a switch live.

In a regular ceiling rose, there will be one wire going to the switch live, which may be blue or black. This should be sleeved brown or red to identify that it is a live and not a neutral.

The switch live wire is the one that goes to the switch, so perhaps you can trace it.

Pictures most welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back