Ceiling rose comes on dimly when other lights switched on!

I also noticed today when trial in another bulb that when no bulb is in the socket no other lights come on on the loop.

What kind of lamp was this? A tungsten filament one?

So, what you are saying is that, when the switch was closed, removing the lamp broke the loop?

That also accounts for the dimness on the rest of the circuit, if it was effectively being switched through that room's dimmer.

If this is the case, you must have connected the wires differently to how you say you did.

Sponsored Links
Secure spark thanks for the help. I guess I'll go back remove all wires, put a normal switch on instead of dimmer and check for the switch live again. Thanks again for your help don't get the attitude of some people on here I've come on looking for help and get shot down for 'not knowin what I'm talking about' I thought that was the point of asking for help.

You are in this mess because you don't understand how lighting circuits are wired. However much you wish that were not pointed out it is evidently true. Not knowing is fine, but you decided that it would be OK for you to fiddle with a lighting circuit despite your ignorance. Do you really think that that was a smart thing to do? Do you really think you should not be made to confront reality? Messing with electrics when you don't understand what you are doing is an idiotic thing to do. This time all that went wrong was that your lights started behaving oddly. Another time you could kill someone. It's a lesson you must learn.

But nobody refused you help. On the basis that you had correctly identified the switch cable (something you repeatedly assured us you had done) you were given advice which, had you been telling the truth, would have got your lights working. But it didn't, and despite coming here for help, you refused to accept that you must have misidentified the switch cable.

Sponsored Links
Point is I started under the assumption I wouldn't need to know how I would simply copy the cabling into another rose and it should work as the other one did.

But it didn't so I'm trying to fix it because the old light fitting is history If I was that ignorant and disregarding of safety i wouldn't be on here trying to get the information to learn what's happening when it should have been a straightforward simple job.

Anyway I'm done on here going to get a sparky in to sort it out.

Thanks to all those who managed to contribute without bein condescending, patronising I really appreciated your input.

Ta

Point is I started under the assumption I wouldn't need to know how I would simply copy the cabling into another rose and it should work as the other one did.

But it didn't
Because you didn't simply copy the cabling into another rose.

And the assumption that you do not need to know how electrical circuits work in order to fiddle with them is completely and utterly WRONG.

so I'm trying to fix it because the old light fitting is history If I was that ignorant and disregarding of safety i wouldn't be on here trying to get the information to learn what's happening when it should have been a straightforward simple job.
Do you really think you are not ignorant of how lighting circuits work?

Thanks to all those who managed to contribute without bein condescending, patronising I really appreciated your input.
Dismissing perfectly correct observations of your competence, phrased in perfectly reasonable ways, as condescending and patronising is not a good idea.

A possible permutation to give the symptom of lamp removal leading to loss of power to the loop and the dimness on the other lights could be:

Connect live feed to switch.

Connect the two neutrals to each other but to nothing else.

Connect the lamp across the switched feed and the live loop out.

But that require more connections than a 3 plate rose allows.

The bind moggles!

You've scared him off with your rude, aggresive and patronising replies. Everyone was trying to be helpful.

Don't bother with the whole "show me where I was rude, aggresive or patronising" routine. I really can't be bothered playing your games.

OP, if you're still reading, please continue to post, and just ignore BAS. There are good people on here who will try to help you out.

You've scared him off with your rude, aggresive and patronising replies. Everyone was trying to be helpful.

Don't bother with the whole "show me where I was rude, aggresive or patronising" routine. I really can't be bothered playing your games.
No - what you mean is you think it's perfectly OK to accuse me of things for which you cannot provide a shred of evidence, and worse, you knew at the outset that you would try and make a virtue out of your unconscionable behaviour.

OP, if you're still reading, please continue to post, and just ignore BAS. There are good people on here who will try to help you out.
Well come on, then, oh wonderful and saintly one, please explain this, and by doing so help the OP. Oh - and, of course, please remember that you are not allowed to suggest that he was wrong to say that he had correctly identified the switch cable:

According to the him, this has always worked fine:

2013_11_12_44_0d59200ec143de3d2a11.jpg

and this does not:

2013_11_12_44_0d59200ec143de3d2a11_2.jpg

Having done that, perhaps you'd like to capitalise on your success by presenting an argument in favour of the position that "I started under the assumption I wouldn't need to know how [lighting circuits work]" is a perfectly sound and safe basis for electrical work, and show why people should not be told otherwise.

Or, of course, you could join the ranks of all the other pathetic whiners who can never justify their criticisms, and then at other times whine again about the way I won't take any notice of them when they try to tell me I'm wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back