Ceiling rose comes on dimly when other lights switched on!

Sponsored Links
Testing the continuity of a switch wire via a dimmer could be problematic.

With power off, it may be easier to test by touching red and black together, or by using a normal switch.

Remember you may get continuity between red and black on the other cables when doing the test, as you may be testing through the lamps in other rooms.

Sponsored Links
Testing the continuity of a switch wire via a dimmer could be problematic.
More like impossible - an electronic dimmer won't show continuity between any of the terminals unless a substantial (i.e. a significant proportion of the mains) voltage is applied to it.

So you haven't touched any other light fittings, and the light in question is 'effectively' wired as it was before? (apart from reds now in centre terminal, blue and brown flex reversed)

Yeah that's correct. As for the multimeter all other leads read infinity apart from the ones I deduced to be the switch wires.

So according to the OP, this has always worked fine:

2013_11_12_44_0d59200ec143de3d2a11.jpg

and this does not:

2013_11_12_44_0d59200ec143de3d2a11_2.jpg

Correct well the light works it just is affected and affects other lights on ring. Only things I've changed is new ceiling rose and dimmer switch replacing a standard switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back