Wiring a fluorescent light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When connecting the mains to a fluorescent light fitting, should I connect the live or neutral cable to the ballast? Or, doesn't it matter?

Sponsored Links
I would connect it the way round it says on the fitting. Also, some fluorescents need an earth for the tube to strike.

Damocles said:
I would connect it the way round it says on the fitting. Also, some fluorescents need an earth for the tube to strike.

Thanks for your reply. I should explain a little further: There are several fluorescent light fittings in the house where I live [in Thailand] and some of the ballasts are wired to the live wire and some to the neutral wire. I am going to make some changes to the electrical system here soon and just wondered which was correct, live or neutral? :?:

When you buy a fitting here in Thailand, there are no fitting instructions and, on top of that, there is no earth here either! :confused:

There may be no fitting instructions, but are the terminals labelled?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
There may be no fitting instructions, but are the terminals labelled?

Hi securespark - no, the terminals are not marked. There is merely a circuit diagram printed on the ballast which shows one cable connected to the input of the ballast and the output connected to the main circuit of the light fitting. The ballast has a terminal block with two connections. Which cable should be connected to the input side of the ballast - live or neutral? TNX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back