Wiring a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I wonder if someone can help me?

I had a motion sensor in my garage which had to be replaced as it started going haywire.

I didn't check how it was wired before I removed it to install my replacement.

Previously the sensor would come on when motion was detected or could be turned on permanently by flicking a switch to the on position.

Now I have wired it the light stays on permanently when the switch is on but doesn't work at all when the switch is off. I can hear the sensor clicking on and off when the switch is on but it isn't turning the light on and off.

Could someone tell me how to wire it please? The power cable has a red, black and earth. The cable going to the light has a yellow, black, red and earth. The sensor has a block with red (connected to LS), blue (connected to neutral) and brown (connected to Live) and the earth.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Spence

Sponsored Links
Just to check, did you throw away the instructions in the box?

I have the instructions but they really aren't good and the diagrams are just unreadable.

Also from what I can decipher from the instructions I have one more wire than they are giving me instructions for!

well.. is the light near the sensor? what cable goes into the pir sensor and what cable leaves pir sensor to light, firstly. and how many cores and of which colours

Sponsored Links
sory just read your post properly have you got any way of testing for live etc neon screwdriver or multi-meter

I haven't but I can easily get something if it helps. What would I need to do with it?

well if i was to make a guess who ever did it probably used the earth as the switched live then red and black were the perminent live and neutral.
when you first turn it on you may have to wait a few mins for the unit to settle

Crude diagram I know but is this what you are saying it should be wired like?

Cables In

Switch ----earth------- |----LS-----| ----------red----------

Switch ----black------- |-----N-----| ---------blue---------
Power ----black--------

Switch----red-------- |----L------ | ----------brown--------
Power ----red ------

Switch ----yellow---- |----E------|
Power -----earth----

the sensor you may have may be a pulse override type where you switch on and off twice in a certain time to make it stay on. but if it has been wired as i suggested earlier then red and black will be the feed and the earth may go into the s/live terminal with the live feed to the light

if the earth has been used as a live this is not advisable mind you. there should be a 3 core and earth cable feeding the pir then the earth could be carried on to the light fitting, esp if the light firtting is metal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back